20d or medium format?

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
given about $1800 to spend, and given you already owned a 10d, which would you buy, the mf or the 20d? purpose primarily business- portrait work, weddings, etc. (i'm getting alot of requests for 16x20 , 20x24 enlargements, and i will need for the new cam to give me consistently sharp images with those sizes in mind)

voodoocat said:
With those print sizes in mind, medium format is your answer.

I totally agree! There are some good finds in MF, such as Bronicas, Yashicas (TLR) which won't take a lot of dough. If you want flexibility of interchangeable lens then invest in a MF SLR such as Bronica or others.

I'd personally go with the 20d, I prefer digital over film. The 20d will print just fine at those sizes (150 pixels per inch).

If you wanted larger than the dimensions you listed, then the 20d wouldn't work.

jadin said:
I'd personally go with the 20d, I prefer digital over film. The 20d will print just fine at those sizes (150 pixels per inch).

If you wanted larger than the dimensions you listed, then the 20d wouldn't work.
Some may find that acceptable... but 150 dpi is still pretty soft. No doubt the quality from medium format is superior at those sizes. I'm not saying you can't get a decent print from the 20d, but if you are looking strictly at how the image will enlarge, the larger format wins hands down.

thanks. i'm thinking i need something like an 85mm prime lens to offset barrel distortion, and at this point don't see much need for any other type of lens. so, what recommendations have you for a good mf, used or new, at around the $1500 price? any thoughts on where to purchase?

Osmer -

I have a Mamiya 645 AF with Mamiya 80mm I would let you have for 1800.00... it was 4,000 new and it is in great shape. I also have a mamiya af telephoto for it if your interested in that - new it was 1500.... i'd let you have it for 600 (i've never used it)

let me know...

SWFLA1 said:
Osmer -

I have a Mamiya 645 AF with Mamiya 80mm I would let you have for 1800.00... it was 4,000 new and it is in great shape. I also have a mamiya af telephoto for it if your interested in that - new it was 1500.... i'd let you have it for 600 (i've never used it)

let me know...

i am interested; how would we go about making the transaction if i decided to purchase it from you?

voodoocat said:
Another TPF hookup! :D

brings a tear to my eye.

:::single tear:::

a 645 is badass toby...id go for it. i just bought a 6x6 bronica...with 150mm lens. its perfect for portraits....

md

santino said:
hey MD!
you got a Bronica? it's one of my dream-cams :)
congrtas!!!!

yes!!!! i have three MF cameras...but this is definately the grand daddy!!!

md

jadin said:

I print 16x24 at 300 dpi from my digital rebel and they look great. I've sold several prints at that size. I've also printed and sold a few 20x30s at 200 dpi which also look incredible. 20x30s are not meant to be looked at with a microscope.

Most reactions

Back