20D or Rebel XT

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 35mm Rebel k2 which i have been using for a while and learned a lot from and i think i would like to take a go with a DSLR since i have been saving up for some time now. Between the XT and 20D is there really going to be that big of a difference in quality? I've looked at the specs and the 20D dosn't seem to have that much more. What do you think? I would buy the body only and use the lens that came with my K2 until i could save up for a nicer lens. Or do you think i should just stick with the K2 and get some glass for it?

i dont care so much about the feeling or size because i can adjust easily to that. i rather have the best camera set up i can for the money then worry about feel

DeepSpring said:
i dont care so much about the feeling or size because i can adjust easily to that. i rather have the best camera set up i can for the money then worry about feel

Well the 20D is the better camera. That's not debatable. It does cost more however. The 30D is out now, and costs as much as the 20D did when it came out, and it is yet better than the 20D. If you can afford it, then go for it. Digital technology becomes obsolete after a while, so unless you want to be lusting after something again in 6 months, you should probably buy the best you can afford.

On the other hand, if all you care about is image quality, then the XT would be a great choice, because all 3 cameras have the same sensor, which produces great images. The glass is really more important.

DeepSpring said:
Ok, then I would say go with the rebel xt since it's cheaper, then spend the extra money on lenses. Don't worry about getting the best camera set-up, worry about getting the best lens setup. A lot of people spend all their money on getting a new 30d and kit lens when they could take better pictures with a rebel xt and an L series lens.

well thats why im thinking maybe i should stay with my k2 and spend all the money on lenses, but digital just seems so much more convenient

DeepSpring said:
well thats why im thinking maybe i should stay with my k2 and spend all the money on lenses, but digital just seems so much more convenient
But there is no point in having a ton of amazing glass and never shooting because film and processing is expensive.

that was the debate i had to make, and I went with the 20d. I'm glad I did too, 5 frames per second shooting, 1/8000th shutter speed, sold feeling body, just a great camera

I'm in a similar situation. At the moment I've got an EOS5 film SLR which I love, but I'm not using it as much as I'd like because of the cost of film and processing. I'm getting some money together for a DSLR, and am torn between getting a 350D or hanging on a bit longer for a 30D.

I think I'm going to go with the 350D. I wouldn't be surprised to see the full frame sensor that Canon have put in the 5D come in further down the range in the future, and the next price point down from that is where the 30D is at the moment. If / when a 30D replacement comes along with the larger sensor then I'll think about upgrading.

Most reactions

Back