20d Resolution

darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently bought a 20D as an upgrade from a Digital Rebel.
I've noticed that when i transfer my images from the camera to the pc ( i use a card reader - not software) the file properties are 72dpi for every image.
My rebel resolution was always 180dpi and my Nikon Coolpix 885 before it died was 180dpi.
At the same time i bought the 20D i also bought a Canon A85 compact - it gives resolution of 180dpi aswell.
I know the dpi can be changed using photoshop and i know exactly how to do it but I'm surprised that a £1000 camera is giving me lower dpi than a £150 compact.
Is there a setting in the camera i can change? Or will i have to make up an action in photoshop to change the dpi of any image i want printed?
thanks
David

My 20D transfers at a much higher resolution. What file type are you shooting with? Perhaps it's set at a lower jpeg setting?

I've so far only taken shots in jpegs. Not RAW. The setting I've been using is the highest quality jpeg so I'm getting around 260 images per 1gb CF card.
I've spoken to a friend who also has a 20D and his is the same - 72dpi. He never noticed it before.
any thoughts?

I think that's just the default setting...should be easy to change.

edit: I couldn't find it in the manual...so maybe it's a software setting.

It really doesn't matter. The DPI is reference to if you're printing. As long as the X and Y pixel counts equal up to 8 megapixels, you're fine.

I know what the difference is, Kent and that they are indepedent of each other but it means i can't print any image without manipulating it and adjusting the dpi to 300 for my print settings.
Surely the 20D can transfer/import an image at a printable quality without having to use photoshop?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back