20D... Switzerland... and a lens dilema!

RocktheMike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hidi ho there fellow photo enthusiasts.

Here's my dilema. I have recently decided to go for the very popular Canon 20D.... but like the good lady further down the forum.... no lens kit.... well not sure of what lens to get would be a better way of putting it. As it is my first Digital SLR i am wondering what lens would be good to begin with... bearing in mind i'm goin to Switzerland in four weeks. I kinda want somethin that'll be good for everything.... more or less. Obviously there is no lense that actually does everything cause everyone would buy that one.... but you get what i mean.

Would grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreatly appreciate your advice! :hail:

Mike

and yes... as it points out underneath my name i am... indeed... a NOOB. Unfortunately i couldnt find the "begin at 200 posts" button when i was registering.
Well i am looking forward to a long relationship with the TPF!
WOOOOOOOOOO!

Mike

Hey Mike, what is your price range, and what types of things will you likely be shooting? A lens that is good for everything implies a zoom that covers a wide range of focals lengths, and typically, those are not great lenses. I would suggest right away buying a 50mm f/1.8, and then possibly a zoom.

Go to www.fredmiranda.com and read lens reviews.

Without knowing what you'll be shooting exactly, or what your budget is, I'd say go with a typical zoom in the 18 -70 range, coupled with a 50mm f/1.8 for low light situations. If you can spend more, go with a fast (wider max aperture) zoom.

I'm with matt on this one. If you get a zoom that covers a large range (superzoom) then the image quality might not be what you hope for. whereas a prime lens will provide you with good image quality and 50mm is a nice medium, hence it's popularity.

Firstly thanks for all your replies. The point is ultimately i would like to end up with a wide angle lense, a macro / super macro lense, a super zoom lens and a low apperature lense eg f1.8 or something.... for portraits and the like. I've been offered specific Canon 20D EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 DC lens with the 20D... im just wondering is this a good place to begin?Again i am eternally grateful for ur responses :hail:
mike

SORRY SORRY SORRY.... to further clarify... my total lack or direction in a multi lens world comes from owning a very handy multi-purpose FujiFilm Finepix S602 Zoom... which really spoilt me for choice in its range of abilities. Really i used all its features at one time or another so this is why im having trouble picking a specific lens.

there u go.... clarification over.
mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back