21 Signs You’re a Cocky Photographer

Folks, things haven't changed a bit since the film era, especially in the 60's and 70's.

Then -
  • The real badge of a hot shot photographer, was having several aluminum film cans taped to your neck strap.
  • Also, having two or three Nikon/Nikormat SLR's, along with a Leica M3 around your neck, banging against each other.
  • Insuring that your black Nikon F Photomic had sufficient rub marks, so the brassing showed.
  • Wearing a converted army field jacket as a photo jacket. (Yes, they do work, and I still wear on when it's colder.)
  • Wearing a Viet Nam era jungle hat, with film canisters in the hat band loops.
  • Wearing a pair of American Optical or Ray Ban aviation sunglasses with badly scratched frames and lenses (Don't worry that you can't see anything after 4:00PM)
  • Insuring that your lenses had the requisite nicks (especially filter rings).
  • Having a Weston Master III light meter lanyard looped through your epaulets.
  • Insuring that everyone knew that your Tri-X was exposed at 1200-1600 because you didn't have nearly enough light in the jungle (back alley, housing project hallway, etc.).

See Dennis Hopper in "Apocalypse Now", for the perfect image.

People today put padding around their cameras so they don't get scratched or marked up and use white gloves so they don't get skin oil on the camera so it doesn't hurt the resale value. Okay..okay..I maybe exaggerating.

But seriously, if I'm selling a lens or something on eBay, my goodness...I must tell them about EVERY minute scratch or mark there is, even on the lens hood. Otherwise, I'll get complaints. Yeah...it's happened before. I forgot about a scratch on the inside of a lens hood and got yelled at.

But seriously, if I'm selling a lens or something on eBay, my goodness...I must tell them about EVERY minute scratch or mark there is, even on the lens hood. Otherwise, I'll get complaints. Yeah...it's happened before. I forgot about a scratch on the inside of a lens hood and got yelled at.

I was selling a 24-120 f4 lens on Amazon, and it was in perfect condition. The guy on amazon requested that it be sent back because it had a scratch on the lens. Being puzzled, I of course had to accept the refund and he sent it back to me.

Upon opening the package, I looked at the lens and there was a little smudge that looked like a scratch on the lens and I removed it with a lens cleaning cloth and it looked like new again....I was like really??

I thought this was was misclassified as cocky, when it really is douchey behavior...

" #10. Unsolicited singing and acoustic guitar playing at parties, bars, café’s, get togethers, etc."

I got a laugh at the so-called cocky behavior of 20-somethings who will ,"wear a vintage film camera" especially in light of the photo that illustrated the article; the young man in a leather jacket, wearing his necklace of a Nikon F2 with an el-cheapo 50mm on the camera...a Series E, or perhaps the ultimate cheap knock-off, the re-skinned "Nikkor" 50mm f/1.8 pancake that's the old Series E with a new nameplate on it! Soooooo un-cool!

My gawd...if one wants to wear a camera necklace, let's NOT mix lens and body eras!!

I thought this was was misclassified as cocky, when it really is douchey behavior...

" #10. Unsolicited singing and acoustic guitar playing at parties, bars, café’s, get togethers, etc."

Yup. This one in particular has nothing to do with photographers. Really, I'd say the entire list describes the douchey photog, not a cocky one. And I got to the end of the article with a clear sense of the author's own douchiness.

He also misnumbered. There were two #17s. So there were really 22 items in the list. And the numbers were bolded through the first #17, and then they weren't for the rest of the list.

He also misnumbered. There were two #17s. So there were really 22 items in the list. And the numbers were bolded through the first #17, and then they weren't for the rest of the list.

English Teacher much?

English Teacher much?

I'm a modest photographer but a cocky English teacher ;)

The author's own douchiness, that's a good one! lol and how it is often enough anymore w/PP. I've dragged around old beat up cameras and used them til they literally fell apart. I only act cocky if that's what it takes to blend into the background at an event... jk (I really keep my smart ass comments in my head when I've been shooting a game or event, or at least mumble under my breath...)

Folks, things haven't changed a bit since the film era, especially in the 60's and 70's.

Then -
  • The real badge of a hot shot photographer, was having several aluminum film cans taped to your neck strap.
  • Also, having two or three Nikon/Nikormat SLR's, along with a Leica M3 around your neck, banging against each other.
  • Insuring that your black Nikon F Photomic had sufficient rub marks, so the brassing showed.
  • Wearing a converted army field jacket as a photo jacket. (Yes, they do work, and I still wear one when it's colder.)
  • Wearing a Viet Nam era jungle hat, with film canisters in the hat band loops.
  • Wearing a pair of American Optical or Ray Ban aviation sunglasses with badly scratched frames and lenses (Don't worry that you can't see anything after 4:00PM)
  • Insuring that your lenses had the requisite nicks (especially filter rings).
  • Having a Weston Master III light meter lanyard looped through your epaulets.
  • Insuring that everyone knew that your Tri-X was exposed at 1200-1600 because you didn't have nearly enough light in the jungle (back alley, housing project hallway, etc.).

See Dennis Hopper in "Apocalypse Now", for the perfect image.
The Apocalypse Now photog was based upon Tim Page. Page, a freelancer, was a living legend in Vietnam. What he lacked in photographic skill he more than up with enthusiasm. Page wore scarves.

\My gawd...if one wants to wear a camera necklace, let's NOT mix lens and body eras!!
. . . and beside me is a D750 with an A-IS 105mm f/4 Micro Nikkor (made about 1982); put me on the list.

\My gawd...if one wants to wear a camera necklace, let's NOT mix lens and body eras!!
. . . and beside me is a D750 with an A-IS 105mm f/4 Micro Nikkor (made about 1982); put me on the list.

AIS lenses are awesome. I'm worried if I buy one, I'll end up having 10.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back