24-70 F4 IS - From Zero to Hero?

JBrown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently got a screaming deal for a brand new retail 24-70 F4 IS for $659 after rebate from Adorama. All the reviews are already out about this lens vs the 24-105. To keep it simple its sharper, better contrast and has a macro mode. The macro mode is obviously YMMV, but its a cool feature never the less.

The controversy surrounding this lens was always because of its insane price it was introduced at (1500) which it is now much more reasonable 999 plus constant rebates. I had recently been looking to add the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC due to the close price, but with this dipping down to such low cost it certainly didnt justify the bump for me.

So far I'm thrilled with the purchase and was thinking it might be worth another look for many of you. It did get me asking one question. Intro price was $1500 and somehow Adorama can sell these for $659 which leaves enough for them to have a profit as well as Canon. I wonder how much markup is actually in these lenses. Granted its not like you replace them yearly, but still thats a signifcant price drop.

Thoughts?

You're simply not going to beat the 24-70L f/4 when it comes to sharpness. I am sure there is a ton of mark-up in all lenses, but a 24-70L is a lens I will use from now on.

Most reactions

Back