24 or 28mm...

hammy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking on ebay for a wide angle lens for my AE-1, and I notice there's 28mm wide angles and 24mm, the latter being more expensive. Is that extra 4mm really worth it? Can't simply just leaning back a bit be the same as that extra 4mm?

Obviously it depends on how much more expensive it is, but I would say that yes, 24mm is a lot wider than 28mm

-If you are talking about 28mm f1.8, I'd happily get it, if the extra mm is not needed. It (the built) looks more or less like the 50mm f1.4.

-If you were referring to 28mm f2.8, we are comparing f2.8 with f1.4, which I would personally give more weight to. Your style of photography makes the decision.

-24mm f1.4 is built like a tank. Well worth, if you need that focal length and aperture.

IMO there's a huge difference between 24 and 28mm

Wide angle distortion actually starts getting funky, while 28mm isn't close.

Very personal opinion of course.

For years I had a 28mm and prefered it over a 35. Now I use an 18mm and would cry if I had to give it up. Go for the widest.

hammy said:
I don't see any 24mm 1.4s
24mm f1.4

I thought you were referring to the 24mm 1.4, since you said 'expensive'.

Here is the B&H price list (in US$):
24mm f2.8 = 279.95
28mm f2.8 = 159.95

28mm f1.8 = 384.95
24mm f1.4L = 1,089.95

Go to your nearest camera store; try both the 28 and the 24 on your camera and pick your fav focal length. Only you can decide that.

Oh and btw, please do feel free to support this forum by purchasing from the B&H link you see on the bottom of this page. :)

Yow. 1k is just a tad bit out of my price range :D

and why is Pheonix crap?

duelinthedeep said:
what would be a better choice? prime wide angle or zoom?
Probably a prime wide angle, especially in the manual canon FD mount.

Zooms were really bad back then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back