24mm vs 28mm

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Wandering Pugilist, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Wandering Pugilist

Wandering Pugilist TPF Noob!

I'm looking to buy some Nikon glass and I have a budget that fits in the range of a 24mm f/2.8D prime lens and the 28mm f/2.8 prime lens. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption is that the only difference between these two lenses is the length (is that the right term?)

I do a lot of work in low-light situations and I don't like flash all that much. I am mainly looking to use this as a portrait lens (I already own the 50mm 1.4) so I'm looking for something that can shoot a bit wider.

I also would like to find a nice prime lens to possibly shoot some landscape shots. Anyone with experience with either lens would be helpful or just advice in general.

Thanks!

2. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I was literally comparing the 24mm f/2.8 and 28mm f/2.8 less than half an hour ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much info either, except that the 28mm costs less. Hopefully someone else knows.

If you don't mind, can I add a question? Is the "G" version only differentiated by its compatibility with that matrix metering sensor Nikon has?

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    First do a search online for reviews. sometimes the difference between 2 lenses is a lot more than (in this case) 4mm.

Which is cool, I do too.

First off, you are you missing out on INCREDIBLE opportunities by not learning how to control your own light via off camera flash. You can do things in controlled light that you NEVER will be able to do without it.

Second, wide lenses are TERRIBLE portrait lenses. The best portrait lenses are above 70mm, and are often as high as 200mm (85mm and 105mm are absolutely FANTASTIC for portraits). The reason for this is simple... distortion. EVERY wide angle lens has massive distortion. In terms of your portraits, can you say "chipmunk cheeks"?

Landscapes... wide angle lenses are good and ULTRA wide angle lenses absolutely rule here. In landscapes, you do not care about that wide angle distortion. Since 99% of all landscapes are done in daylight, I would suggest that you look at the Sigma 10-20mm. Awesome lens. It is not fast, but it is incredible:

[​IMG]

And if it is dark, the nice thing about landscapes is that they do not move... lol. A tripod and a good location and you can get some really nice shots too:

[​IMG]
    (click on picture above for larger version)

BTW, to know about each of the individual lenses you asked about, visit HERE.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. Wandering Pugilist

I did, but all I'm finding is that BOTH purchasers are saying BOTH lenses are awesome and there isn't much on contrasting and comparing the differences. Well, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Any suggestions?

Great. Now we have something in common.

I do own a SB-600 and am capable of taking flash portraits. The reason I am trying to get away from flash is because I am trying to do a photo documentary and I feel "flash" makes the photographer less "invisible" and distracts the subject from forgetting that there is a camera in their face. But thanks for making the assumption that I never learned how to control my own light before even asking. :thumbup:

Great info. I do own a 50mm f1.4 but the subject is always so crammed when I try to take any type of portrait (and yes I know why). I am just tried of backing up (sometimes it is because I don't want to, most times it is because there is not enough room in the place I am shooting). I imagine a 70mm would make that situation worse. Is there anything you can suggest to help remedy this issue?

Awesome landscape shots. While I know a 24-28 would probably not generate the same quality shots, I was wondering if you thought it would be better to buy a 24-28 prime lens than use the kit lens of 18-55.

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't state whether your are using a DX or FX body, but have you looked at the 35mm f/2. I think it makes a good protrait lens if you're going for a bit wider shot with limited space. Nice build quality, contrast and color rendition. Very sharp and good for low light.

I'm thinking the 24 or 28mm would give more distortion than desired for portraits..... but not completely sure. I'm looking at the 20mm or 24mm for landscapes.

6. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think a 28 is probably a good length on a crop body for doing documentary portrait work. Obviously it's not an ideal length for headshots but for environmental images a wide lens beats a telephoto every time. The problem is that the closer you get to your subject with a lens, the more distance increases relative to the lens. If you are 15 feet away from someone, a half an inch worth of difference between their eye and the tip of their nose is negligible, but if you are 15 inches from them it becomes a much more exaggerated distance because the nose is relatively much closer to the lens than the eye, making it appear huge. In other contexts you can play with this effect to make interesting images.

To me, a 24-70 would probably be an ideal lens in this situation-- wide to long, so you can do everything. Assuming that such a lens is out of your price range, I think any of the lenses discussed would be good length wise, but the 28 is probably best.

7. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will second the distortion issue as you go to a wider angle lens for portraits..

Remember, on a crop body camera, your focal length is 50 to 60% longer than it was on full frame film cameras.

I don't think that you should go shorter than about 35mm so you don't end up with long ears or humped shoulders on your subjects..

The obvious solution for you, in the long run, is to use good glass, but plan on a FF body if this is your passion and you are unable to "back-up".

8. Wandering Pugilist

Thanks for the replies!

I am using a Nikon D80. I guess I am trying to "get the best bang for my buck", which I know almost never works out in photography. My biggest concern is the room I have for shooting in a low-light situation (boxing gyms, so as you can imagine, not a whole lot of room). I'm not really looking to do headshots, as my 50mm has worked out, at least to my satisfaction it has. I am rather trying to capture entire subjects and with the 50mm, I have to back up, more than I want to at least.

So on Jerry's advice (Thanks bro), I am reading through many reviews on the net. It looks like I'd get more distortion with the 24 than the 28, but I also like to take landscape and I'm reading a 28 offers less versatility. So, in my situation, should I go for a 28 and save up to buy something SUPER wide angle, or just put in the extra $100 for the 24?

9. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wide-angle distortion is *less* significant on a crop when looking at a given lens. Perspective distortion is entirely a function of how far away the camera is from the subject. You could shoot a full body image with a wider angle (say, 28-35ish) and you wouldn't see any WA distortion in their facial features, etc. Wide angle is probably perfect for doing documentary shots of boxers-- I'm very jealous, really :)

My main concern is that 2.8 won't be fast enough.

10. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Please explain how the focal length will be longer on a cropped body(sensor). This is a misnomer often spewed on the net. It is the Field of View that is affected between the DX and FX sensors and the focal length does not change.

11. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My thinking was always that 28mm was too wide for most of my shooting, but not wide enough when I want wide. Hence, it's usually 35mm or 24mm for my wide angle shots.

12. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To expand on that-- the ONLY difference is that the edges are cropped off of the frame. If you stand in the same place and shoot with the same lens, but once with a crop and once with a full frame, and you cropped the full frame shot, the images would be identical. The difference in perspective happens because in order to get an image with similar *framing* on both cameras, you would need to change your position, therefore changing the distances between the camera and subject and altering the image's perspective.

Hence, a 50mm lens on a 1.5 crop and an 85 on a full frame will provide very similar perspectives for images with the same framing.