$2500 on new camera...

I agree with JIP, reading your statement gives a feel of ignorance. Where you went wrong was saying that "The Canon is the better choice, but you also pay a bit more for the quality, reliability and expandability of the Canon systems." Words like "good" "better", "awesome" etc. are opinionated qualifications. Class to class, the companies can offer equal variants. Of course if you're gonig off of a Nikon entry level to a Canon pro-sumer the Canon will seem better, which is why I say class to lass. as in, comparing models from the same competitive class. As far as quality, reliability, expandability, the companies are matched. there is no superiority.

Well, I do believe the Canon is better... or I wouldn't have spent the 10's of thousands that I have spent on ALL of my Canon equipment over the years. If you think I'm dumb for believing that... well, I won't be so rude as to say the same thing back as I don't think people are dumb for perferring the brand they do. They might have reasons based on how they shoot or their lack of experience to know different, but I don't consider them dumb. If you want to call people names because you don't like what they think, oh well. Although you are calling a LOT of Canon users dumb. ;)

Mike

He didn't say you are dumb to shoot Canon. He is saying you are dumb to call Canon better. You can say canon is better suited for YOUR needs. As in better FOR YOU. but not better period. I think they go in waves. for a hwile Canon was better, currently Nikon is better. Look at a D3 spec sheet next to a Canon 1D MK III. That's subject to change in a year or 2 with Canon on top, then 2 year later Nikon. that's just what I observed. I also say that Canon Vs. Nikon models go in a stepping stone pattern (Canon is better entry level, Nikon better mid-consumer, Canon better prosumer, and CURRENTLY Nikon better pro).

From worst to best IMHO

Nikon D40
Nikon D40X
Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon Digital Rebel XTi
Nikon D80
Nikon D200
Canon 30D
Canon 40D
Nikon D300
Canon 5D
Canon 1Ds Mk III
Canon 1 D Mk III (I'd prefer better burst over a gajillion megapixels)
Nikon D3

As a potential business venture, with your $2500, make sure that you figure in those "other" things you will need.
I may not have made myself clear. My budget for a CAMERA BODY is $2500. That is what I have allotted for a camera and a camera alone, not lenses, tripods, etc. I have a rather large total budget. But for a camera I am looking at no more than $2500.

If your also planning on opening a studio you are going to want to have more than one camera body. As far as what it is the best camera I can't say as I don't do people pics. But in business a backup camera is a must in my opinion.
I agree completely. A back-up is part of my total budget. But for now I am wanting opinions on my first serious pro or semi pro cam :)

So, you have no problem spending all that dough on maybe a body and some good glass right now, then you will allocate funds as needed as the need for more equipment arises?
I have about $20K for equipment. I am trying to decide on a few camera options to take a look at for which I would like to spend no more than $2500 on my final selection.

1. get good glass, get good glass, get good glass .... i heard this over and over
2. the body most likely will be a canon or a nikon the entry level pro bodies are a good place to start (get good glass)
3. Don't buy anything till you've held it, if you are ordering from B&H or Cameta then go to a camera store and hold the one you are thinking of before you order online. (get good glass)
4. assuming that you will be in a position to buy incidentals for a business as we approach 2009 and this is a camera budget not a business budget...get good glass.
Thank You!

Yes, this is strictly a camera budget :)

Personally I think if you don't even have a brand prefrence of cameras you have a lot lot lot to learn and you need to hit the brakes a little.
I do have a preference - I like Canon and then Nikon. Typical, right? But I have yet to use something more than a P&S which is why I am asking to begin with. I might prefer Canon but if someone said Minolta or Olympus was superior for pro or semi pro and there was valid reasoning behind that opinion I would take a look at them in addition to Canon and/or Nikon. Parting of learning is asking questions and being willing to take the answer into consideration, is it not?

I'd go

-1 Canon 30D
-2 2Gig Sandisk ultra II cards
-1 Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens
-1 Canon 50 1.4 USM lens
-1 Canon 70-200 F/4L lens
-1 Canon EX 480 Flash

But that's me, I'm not saying any other brand is good. I'm a Canon guy and I'll be the first to say I take offense in all this Nikon bashing by my fellow Canon users. no matter what you do: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fujifilm, Olympus, Sigma, et.c, You'll love it. just go down to a local DSLR carrier, and hold a few, then come back with a list of what you liked and ask us about the tech stuff on those cameras (i wouldn't trust some of the people at certain stores). Try and hold a few of the popular players:

*Canon 40D
*Canon 30D
*Nikon D200
*Nikon D300
Nikon D80
Sony Aplha 1
Olympus E-510
Sigma S14
Pentax K10D

*consider these the most for professional support
Thank you, thank you :)

I also say that Canon Vs. Nikon models go in a stepping stone pattern (Canon is better entry level, Nikon better mid-consumer, Canon better prosumer, and CURRENTLY Nikon better pro).

From worst to best IMHO

Nikon D40
Nikon D40X
Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon Digital Rebel XTi
Nikon D80
Nikon D200
Canon 30D
Canon 40D
Nikon D300
Canon 5D
Canon 1Ds Mk III
Nikon D3

Okay this makes sense in my mind, appreciate it.

He didn't say you are dumb to shoot Canon. He is saying you are dumb to call Canon better. You can say canon is better suited for YOUR needs. As in better FOR YOU. but not better period. I think they go in waves. for a hwile Canon was better, currently Nikon is better. Look at a D3 spec sheet next to a Canon 1D MK III. That's subject to change in a year or 2 with Canon on top, then 2 year later Nikon. that's just what I observed. I also say that Canon Vs. Nikon models go in a stepping stone pattern (Canon is better entry level, Nikon better mid-consumer, Canon better prosumer, and CURRENTLY Nikon better pro).

From worst to best IMHO

Nikon D40
Nikon D40X
Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon Digital Rebel XTi
Nikon D80
Nikon D200
Canon 30D
Canon 40D
Nikon D300
Canon 5D
Canon 1Ds Mk III
Nikon D3

Thank you!!!

Barefoot you need to go and hold the cameras get them in your hands feel what works better for you. Do not be swayed by salespeople that are motivated but one thing and one thing alone and that is how much comission they are getting off of a particular piece of equipment. When I worked in retail I can't count the number of people who changed their brand prefrence by the particualr model that gave them good commission that week and this was encouraged by management (not to change brand prefrences but to push a certain model by putting extra incentives on it). So you need to get a camera in your hands try Nikon and Canon you shpuld go with one of those as far as quality you get what you pay for if you pick a Nikon or a Canon a $2500 camera is a $2500 camera.

This....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397314-REG/Canon_0296B002_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html

is gonna be pretty close to this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519884-REG/Nikon_9482_D300_Digital_Camera_with.html

Barefoot, you really should wait for the new Nikons to come out! If you just cant stand it you might want to put your name on a list for the new D300. I'm certain that you would be able to sell it should you decide you don't like it. It should look and feel very much like the current D200.

Good glass is Good glass is Good glass and Nikon and Canon both make some.

You might want to research the coming D3, however, the advances made with this body may be worth the price for you (you look to be able to shoot hand held by moonlight with this thing!). It is twice your budget but it may be worth every penny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back