28-105mm Problems

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by vonDrehle, Aug 17, 2005.

1. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm in currently in Las Vegas and I am having massive problems with my 28-105mm f/4-5.6. The first thing I noticed it doing was when ever I put it onto my camera and turned the dial to any of the modes, it would pause for about 10 seconds before showing anything. Second I noticed that on my LCD screen it keeps saying Manual Focus is switched on while the lens will be switched to auto focus. Third it keeps trying to tell me that the battery is dead and switching off (I tried 2 different battery sets one being brand new). I don't have any digital cameras with me but here is what I have examined from the outside of the lens...

The lens is loose (Part that actually zooms in and out, not base attached to camera) and will easily move back and forth with the touch of a finger.

There seems to me more silver present between lens and the camera, thought I might just have not noticed it before.

The sensors or whatever you call them on the lens seem fine, though there does seem to be a smudge on the bottom of the lens.

I know it is not my camera because after the 28-105mm started acting up I put on my 17-40mm and had no problems at all. The so-called "dead" batteries from before now worked. The camera knew when I had AF and MF selected, and when I first turned it on the LCD screen quickly gave me all my information.

**Now after the lens has been attached for about 15 minutes it seems to be working fine? I have no idea what the lens is doing. Though I knew I could expect it to go bad on me somewhere down the line, it is the kit lens and made out of almost plastic material.

I looked in the phonebook and found that there are some Canon authorized places around here so I'm going to try and go there tomorrow. But if it keeps going good and bad on me, I'll get to experiment some new things with my 17-40mm.

If you have any ideas as to why it is doing this please help.

Thanks.

2. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

With just the lens problems I would have suggested looking at the contacts on the lens and the camera, making sure that they're all clean and undamaged.
    But with the added battery problems it sounds strange. Almost as if the camera has taken a knock somewhere.

3. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I originally thought it was the camera. But I found that when I took the lens off and moved the mode dial it would work fine. But once I placed the lens back on it would start pausing. Also when I switched to the 17-40mm it worked fine, but once again when I switched back it started acting up. It did the dead battery thing to me twice.

Also the manual focus ring seems a little ruff. When I turn it all the way to the left and then back to the right it feels like there is something restricting it from moving, it always make a click now when I'm focusing.

It seems to be working fine now but I'm still going to go by one of the canon places to atleast get my camera and the lens cleaned.
    I was thinking about getting another standard lens anyways...