28-200mm lens works on d40?

Method

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brendon-jeramy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im in a spot to purchase a nikon 28-200mm lens, i looked at the lens and there was no autofocus on it, does this lens require a dslr body with an autofocus built in? seeing as this doesn't have one built in. google isn't very help ful.

Well it's a Nikkor AF 28-200mm That alone means no it doesn't have an autofocus motor. A bit more searching and the page about this lens on dpreview mentions how fast the autofocus is when coupled to the Nikon D200's autofocus motor.

So no you won't be able to autofocus with this lens on a D40. Nikon's only lenses with autofocus motors are the silent wave motors. You are looking for "AF-S" models.

Besides you don't want a lens with that kind of range anyway.

Lenses with that kind of range are notoriously soft especially at the extreme focal-lenghts. If you look at any review of the much ballyhooed Nikon 18-200 VR almost every one of them will (no matter how much they like it) state this as a problem.

I've heard great things about the sigma 18-200mm, does the same apply to that lens aswell? As anyone heard anything about it?

www.photozone.de Have a look at the sharpness distortion vignetting and CA figures of the superzooms (Nikkor 18-200, Sigma 18-200, Tamron 18-250). They are a lens designed for extreme versatility and unfortunately they sacrifice every aspect of speed and image quality to do so. That said there's plenty of happy customers for it. It's a good choice if you don't want to buy more than 1 lens, but if you are after quality and you don't mind running around with a lens in your pocket and one on your camera then you can get better quality out of other lenses.

Most reactions

Back