28-300 f/3.5-5.6G or 18-200 f/3.5-5.6G

FTWingRiders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I've been lurking around here for awhile, more of a reader than poster, and just had a couple of newby questions, but a quick back story. I shoot with a D5000 with the kit 18-55 and 55-200, and a SB-700. I also received for Christmas last year the 12-24 f/4. Would like the D7000 someday, but doubt I'll ever go full frame. I'm mostly landscape, family photo kind of guy, with no asperitions to ever be hired or sell my pictures. I do travel a lot by motorcycle and hiking, and enjoy taking pictures of my travels, and taking the best I can for myself, and my families enjoyment.

1. I know shooting DX there is the crop factor of 1.5, however, do you apply this with ALL lenses or only non-DX lenses? I've read that it applies to all, but want to clarify. So that with ALL my lenses I have to multiply the focal lengths by 1.5 to get the actual focal lengths, correct?

2. I'm planning on buying one lens to replace the 2 kit lenses. I really like to 28-300 as I'm always looking for more reach and after reading the reviews, it seams that it also has better glass than the 18-200. Will this compliment my 12-24 better without leaving me feeling there is a gap I'm missing between the two? As in going to the zoo with the family, I'll still have plenty on it on the wide end to get good shots of the family. I'm also planning on getting the 50 1.4 for inside, low light pictures.

Thank you for that I've learned here, and all replies are greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back