2nd HDR!!!

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Once again, it's not really a "real" hdr that's composed of three or more seperate shots, this is from one shot... blah blah blah. :p

I think my editing really shows color that was never seen in the original.

Anyways, how'd I do? I think it's an improvement from my first HDR. And guess what, no watermarks! Muahahaha.

ORIGINAL::

NEWBIE HDR::

Rock_HDR3.jpg

If you comment I'll be your best friend. :hug::

they're both good in their own right...but I like the original better....it looks real.

The second one looks nothing like HDR in my opinion. I'd almost garuntee that I could create an image nearly identical to your second one using layers/saturation/contrast in PS.

^ Really? I tried some regular photoshopping but I don't think anything came out as good as my "HDR".

I tried to be subtle in my HDR, to look more "real". Maybe it's my monitor, but my noobish self thinks my HDR looks really cool! Haha.

Nothing is wrong with the original at all though, like Sideburns pointed out. I knew that before editing. I just wanted to experiment and learn by editing this photo.

Thanks for the comments so far! I really appreciate it. Now does everyone else think my HDR doesn't look HDRish enough? Is the original better?

I prefer the "HDR" one, myself, because of the added contrast and saturation. However, I agree with NateS, the effect of that second image could easily be duplicated in Photoshop. So while the second picture is my favorite of the two, I can't say it really warranted the HDR treatment.

As far as asking whether or not an HDR is "HDR-ish enough" - That's entirely based on personal preference. Some pictures look best with the effect used more subtly, and others look cool when the effect is quite drastic and the photo looks almost illustrated. Try different degrees of it while you're tone mapping and see what you like best. Even if you make an HDR that is so subtle that no one could even tell it's an HDR, that shouldn't even matter, so long as you achieve the effect you were looking for. There's more than one way to reach the same result, and whether you create an understated HDR or make adjustments in Photoshop, the result is all that really matters.

And just some advice: HDRs are best made from really high-contrast photos. With deep shadows, blown highlights, things like that.

I prefer the "HDR" one, myself, because of the added contrast and saturation. However, I agree with NateS, the effect of that second image could easily be duplicated in Photoshop. So while the second picture is my favorite of the two, I can't say it really warranted the HDR treatment.

As far as asking whether or not an HDR is "HDR-ish enough" - That's entirely based on personal preference. Some pictures look best with the effect used more subtly, and others look cool when the effect is quite drastic and the photo looks almost illustrated. Try different degrees of it while you're tone mapping and see what you like best. Even if you make an HDR that is so subtle that no one could even tell it's an HDR, that shouldn't even matter, so long as you achieve the effect you were looking for. There's more than one way to reach the same result, and whether you create an understated HDR or make adjustments in Photoshop, the result is all that really matters.

And just some advice: HDRs are best made from really high-contrast photos. With deep shadows, blown highlights, things like that.

Thanks for that well thought-out reply! I really appreciate it! :thumbup:

I wanted to be subtle with the HDR-ing on this one anyways, because this is supposed to look somewhat natural. I have never photoshopped a photo to the extent of it looking like this, so it's basically an HDR to me. Although I'm sure some of you photoshop gurus can come up with something close.

I think the HDR worked because I never noticed those colors of the stones until I did this.

And I added more contrast to the original shot before HDR-ing it too, because I took Sw1tchFX's advice he gave me in my 1st HDR thread.

Anyways, thanks for the comments so far. I have never used any other forum besides TPF, cuz I love it here. :p

Most reactions

Back