2nd Newborn shoot with B800 - CC Please

mbkPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was the second shoot I did with the B800. One B800 is used camera left, f9 1/125 ISO200. I didn't realize how hard it is to shoot on a black background, I still need a lot more practice. I had a bunch of spill on the background and I need to adjust my distance better and the direction of the lights. To much time was spent in post production correcting the black and I feel some of the pictures may have lost quality as I adjusted the shadows/darks.

1. I really like the way this came out but I may have been to strong on the skin touch ups, to plastic looking? Still need more practice.
4289956510_6fcfc5ed5e.jpg

2. I think the lighting in this works good but the hand seems to distract me, like it is randomly coming out of a void. What do you think?
4289956222_0ce86d1362.jpg

3. My fav out of the whole shoot
4289212245_eb3c4946bc.jpg

I like the shots a lot, but the skintones might be a bit too pink for me. I thought maybe it was only the baby, but the mother as well.

Your lighting looks ok...just ok...I think you need to move the light closer and maybe lower? How big is your softbox/umbrella? I also think the skin tones are off...wayyyy pink with orange in the shadows. Also...I think you could open up a little and still get good focus...do you have a particular reason for shooting at f9?

I don't think too plastic looking. Are you making sure you mark out the hair with your skin touch up layers? His hair may just be like that, but looks like you did a surface blur on it or something. I like the composition of all three by the way.

Thanks for the comments Sbuxo, Farrah and AnotherNewGuy! I agree the colors are off, I really need to get my monitor calibrated because I think its affecting my post production. The light was was probably 4-5 feet from the subject, I don't remember how high it was placed though, it was set at 1/4 power. I'm using a shoot thru 48" umbrella. No reason for shooting at f9, I'll definitely try and open up more. I did mask out the hair when working on the skin so thats all natural. I really apprecaite the comments!! I still have a ton to learn and this really helps out.

I would love to play with one of them....but your profile says that your photos aren't ok to edit?

Farrah please feel free but only you ;)

I really like the shots. I think the mother and father will love them. the only thing I would have changed is the firts picture it looks like the babby face is a littel squished. but it hard to get a babby to look the way you want them to. I have not done any baby pictures yet but i have read the best time is nap time. but you would have never got that last shot if the babby was a sleep.

here is a quick play: I bumped the midtone curves, reduced the magenta and added a little bit of cyan.
4289956510_6fcfc5ed5efj.jpg

Farrah thanks for the touch up, I like what you did. I'm definitely going to go back and look at everything again. First though I need to calibrate my monitors better, I think that is part of my problem.

My clients liked the pictures but I think they will like them even more once I get the collors better. I'm not charging any money at this point, I need to get better before I start down that road.

here is a quick play: I bumped the midtone curves, reduced the magenta and added a little bit of cyan.
4289956510_6fcfc5ed5efj.jpg

Looks way overexposed now, IMO.

Looks way overexposed now, IMO.

The red channel is 230 or less...which is pretty typical for most photos of caucasians.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back