2x Converter ?

Stevepwns

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobeastonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been looking at 500mm plus lenses. To get what would be close to decent, I am looking at a $1000. Anyone with experience with using 2x converters? Would you recommend them? are they worth the $100+. I have the big beercan 70 - 300, with a converter, it would put me where I want to be, I love the pictures it produces and it would save me a ton of money. Being a hobbiest / ameture I just cant justify the large price tag of a full on lens.

Lots and lots and lots of posts about them on this forum. The general consensus being don't waste your money. My personal opinion is don't go over 1.4x

Lots and lots and lots of posts about them on this forum. The general consensus being don't waste your money. My personal opinion is don't go over 1.4x

ok, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Just to be cear, I am not referencing the type that go on the front of the lens but the type that go in between the camera and the lens. Ive seen a few high dollar lens come with them, so I figured there might be something to them....

2*Teleconverters are worth the money BUT require very high quality optics on the lens to actually perform well. They double your focal length and this thus magnifies any errors or weakness in the lens itself. As a result you tend to only see them in use on very high priced lenses- for zoom lenses the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS and the Nikon/Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS MII/VRII and the Sigma 200-500mm f2.8 are the only zooms I'm aware of that can really take a 2*teleconveter and perform well.

Most other lenses that take the 2*TC are prime lenses not zooms.

Sadly I don't know the Sony range that well - if you want something to work in that range you could consider looking at Sigma as I think they've got their 150-500mm, 50-500mm zooms in sony mount (I think - like I day I don't know sony). Also looking at your signature gear list you could likely trade a few of your zooms away and consolidate your setup as you've quite a bit of overlap in the listed lenses.

2*Teleconverters are worth the money BUT require very high quality optics on the lens to actually perform well. They double your focal length and this thus magnifies any errors or weakness in the lens itself. As a result you tend to only see them in use on very high priced lenses- for zoom lenses the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS and the Nikon/Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS MII/VRII and the Sigma 200-500mm f2.8 are the only zooms I'm aware of that can really take a 2*teleconveter and perform well.

Most other lenses that take the 2*TC are prime lenses not zooms.

Sadly I don't know the Sony range that well - if you want something to work in that range you could consider looking at Sigma as I think they've got their 150-500mm, 50-500mm zooms in sony mount (I think - like I day I don't know sony). Also looking at your signature gear list you could likely trade a few of your zooms away and consolidate your setup as you've quite a bit of overlap in the listed lenses.

Thanks for the info, definitely something to consider. Given the collection I have, it really is just that. I only tend to use a couple of them. I actually a few more, those are just my favorites.

Don't bother with a 2x teleconverter for that zoom.
1.4x you may be able to get away with, and you should make sure the teleconverter is compatible with it.

If you really want the reach and image quality, you should make the $$ investment in a new lens ... you really cannot get both without going into a higher cost bracket.

I would suggest selling the 70-210mm and 70-300mm beercan and put that towards the new lens.

Converters only tend to be decent with primes. Not really made for zooms.

Don't bother with a 2x teleconverter for that zoom.
1.4x you may be able to get away with, and you should make sure the teleconverter is compatible with it.

If you really want the reach and image quality, you should make the $$ investment in a new lens ... you really cannot get both without going into a higher cost bracket.

I would suggest selling the 70-210mm and 70-300mm beercan and put that towards the new lens.

Yeah you got that Tammy now so you can let go of the cheapy zooms and get your like a sigma 150-500

You dont really need the 35-105 either. Sell it too.

Most reactions

Back