3 for C & C

MisplacedAngler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to get some practice with my new camera. Subjects may not be the most interesting, but it was practice afterall. These are jpeg's straight out of the camera. Any tips on composition, post processing, or camera settings would be great. I love photos with lots of color (think realistic HDR's) and all my colors have been very drab even for jpeg's. Could that be because of the cloudy weather?

4331916010_4bacae06af_b.jpg

4331916004_c939a7c481_b.jpg

4331916000_f77bf554ee_b.jpg

I really would have liked to not have the yellow pole in the second pic, but there wasn't much I could do about that. I also was hoping & thinking the third pic would have turned out better than it did, but wasn't sure what I could have done to make it better.

Oh BTW, Nikon D5000 w/ 18-55mm kit lens.

I messed with number 2 some, the edit is not perfect, but you get the idea.

picture066y.jpg

Messed with #1 as well. sharpened, adjusted color and thought it would look good with a wide crop
picture066y.jpg

And yes the cloudy weather doesnt help, I think we have the same weather, so I have not been able to go shoot with my new 50d since I got it, this weather is good for portraits though, if you have a flash. Do you have a Circular Polarizer Lens?

Last edited:
I messed with number 2 some, the edit is not perfect, but you get the idea.

picture066y.jpg

Messed with #1 as well. sharpened, adjusted color and thought it would look good with a wide crop
picture066y.jpg

And yes the cloudy weather doesnt help, I think we have the same weather, so I have not been able to go shoot with my new 50d since I got it, this weather is good for portraits though, if you have a flash. Do you have a Circular Polarizer Lens?

I like all the edits you've done, especially the wide crop. I think it makes the picture better and you don't have to be a PP expert to do it. How did you get the yellow pole out....with a clone feature? Since I'm only a couple hours from Tulsa, I'm pretty sure we've had the same weather. I was supposed to go to Tulsa last weekend actually, but that didn't work b/c of weather. If you're asking if I have a circular polarizing filter, then no. If they make circular polarizing lens, then I would guess mine is not as it is a kit lens.

BTW, anything cool to photo for a visitor in Tulsa?

I like all the edits you've done, especially the wide crop. I think it makes the picture better and you don't have to be a PP expert to do it. Since I'm only a couple hours from Tulsa, I'm pretty sure we've had the same weather. I was supposed to go to Tulsa last weekend actually, but that didn't work b/c of weather. If you're asking if I have a circular polarizing filter, then no. If they make circular polarizing lens, then I would guess mine is not as it is a kit lens.

BTW, anything cool to photo for a visitor in Tulsa?[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend getting a CPL, most would say get a real nice Hoya or b&w, but being a beginner I would get a cheaper one, because when you upgraded lenses the small filter size will be useless.

There are tons of places in Tulsa, lots of good areas downtown, along the river, Brookside, Cherry Street... I could go on. Where in Ark. are you?

As for removing the pole, I use Gimp... its free but some things are more difficult. I whited out the pole, copied some footprint spots inserted them and smudged then in.

Hope you don't mind, but I did a quick tight crop on the bridge photo. I like the idea you have going on, I think the crop just makes it a bit cleaner.

editedbridge1.jpg

And a quick curves/levels adjustment in Photoshop...
editedbridge2.jpg

Another route instead of trying to photochop the pole.

Cheers!

I use Gimp too. Since I'm new to the hobby, I didn't see the need to buy photoshop, although I just graduated and could probably use my student ID to get the student discount on the full version ($199). I'm in the Russellville area. I've been looking at polarizing, uv, and nd filters lately. I have an old friend that has a photo website and I think he used a ND filter on some shots I liked so I started looking into them.

cool, let me know when you plan on comming to Tulsa, I can give you some good places to shoot.

Hope you don't mind, but I did a quick tight crop on the bridge photo. I like the idea you have going on, I think the crop just makes it a bit cleaner.

editedbridge1.jpg

And a quick curves/levels adjustment in Photoshop...
editedbridge2.jpg

Another route instead of trying to photochop the pole.

Cheers!

Looks good. I actually thought about the panoramic type crop with this photo because the tree at the top was bothering me although I haven't done any editing other than scaling down. I usually try to include a lil' too much in the picture as opposed to a lil' to lil' and wanted to include the full image to get responses. This does do two things I didn't anticipate.....it gets rid of the pole and makes the pier feel a lot longer (although it is actually shorter) as the perspective seems to be half way out from the shore when its more like two steps from the shore.

cool, let me know when you plan on comming to Tulsa, I can give you some good places to shoot.

Will do. I typically don't come a lot but my daughter had a cheerleading competition that was cancelled...however, it may be rescheduled.

I usually try to include a lil' too much in the picture as opposed to a lil' to lil'

I do that too, and try to crop in PP to get it more to what I want. I'm great with photoshop...not so great with a camera lol.

This does do two things I didn't anticipate.....it gets rid of the pole and makes the pier feel a lot longer (although it is actually shorter) as the perspective seems to be half way out from the shore when its more like two steps from the shore.

:thumbup:

I usually try to include a lil' too much in the picture as opposed to a lil' to lil'

I do that too, and try to crop in PP to get it more to what I want. I'm great with photoshop...not so great with a camera lol.

This does do two things I didn't anticipate.....it gets rid of the pole and makes the pier feel a lot longer (although it is actually shorter) as the perspective seems to be half way out from the shore when its more like two steps from the shore.

:thumbup:

Well, I'm great with neither. Maybe this hobby will keep me busy for a while.

Most reactions

Back