3 Images of 2 Children for C&C

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This will be my first time posting in the professional gallery and I am doing so very timidly. I am in no way a professional. I have tons of growing to do and I have been shooting for approximately one year now. I feel like it is only right that I begin posting some of my images in this forum because I am beginning to get paid for my work. I am also beginning to book some clientele. Since I will be getting paid I feel it is only fair to my customers that I am striving to be better and better. With that said, This is a one and a three year old that I photographed the other day. It was a new venture for me as I have not photographed two kids together and I found it very challenging to get them looking the same way for a shot. Please give your constructive C&C and I will appreciate it.

_DSC0148.jpg

_DSC0010-1.jpg

_DSC0064-1.jpg

The rest of the shoot can be found here. Login | Facebook

I personally think these shots are stunning. I am in a dark room at the moment and will look again in the morning, but the only thing at this moment I may do is pop the eyes in the second shot just a tiny bit. Don't make them vampirsh though :) I will look again in the morn when I have better light, I may say differently. Congrats on some gorgeous portraits :)

Thanks. I actually dodged the center of is iris slightly. He is so young that his brown eyes haven't fully devolped their color yet. I sponge saturated and all the red came out so I had to just leave them alone. Any ideas on how to do it?

#3 looks great - natural smile and good composure

#2 - good natural hairlight (just not favoring the object to the right of the ear) it's bothering me

#1 I would have dropped 1 fstop. Looks like you were shooting something like f1.8. I would have dropped to 2.8 to bring a little less DOF, but to still reach your objective.

Overall, well done.

Thanks Gerald. The object to the right of his ear, his left, is the top rung of the chair he was sitting in. I don't know why number one came out with such a small DOF.

Here is the EXIF.
Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D90
Lens: 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Image Date: 2010-05-18 18:28:12 -0500
Focal Length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
Aperture: f/5.3
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Light Source: Unknown
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

Subject to came distance has a significant effect on DOF.

I envision it as a sissors action linking the camera and subject. As the camera gets closer and closer to the subject, the DOF gets thinner and thinner. as the camera moves away from the subject the DOF gets deeper and deeper.

For my tastes the composition of all 3 is ok, but

#1 has insufficient DOF
#2 needed fill flash
#3 needed flash to balance the ambient in the background.

That light advances, dark recedes has worked well in the visual arts for hundreds of years.

Thanks Keith, good illustration. I have to quit being scared and get my SB-600 out and start using it. I had a large reflector but I guess it wasn't doing the trick. One day I am going to have to get out and just use the flash lots of different ways to find what power to use and the best way to diffuse it in these situations.

Yes, sadly. I will be practicing with the strobe more so I can make that shot happen.

Yes, sadly. I will be practicing with the strobe more so I can make that shot happen.
Don't use it on the hot shoe, use it off the camera.

I suggest for you, a new creed:

Change the Light. Too many photographers just accept what they find. Instead use: Time of day, subject position, flash, reflectors, diffusers, scrim, flashlights, and anything else you can think of. But take control of the light. - Thom Hogan (my highlight)

This and good composition are the key to making images your competition won't be able to match. Lighting and composition are also the key that will allow you to eventually sell 8x10 prints for $100 each.

Don't use it on the hot shoe, use it off the camera.

I suggest for you, a new creed:

Change the Light. Too many photographers just accept what they find. Instead use: Time of day, subject position, flash, reflectors, diffusers, scrim, flashlights, and anything else you can think of. But take control of the light. - Thom Hogan (my highlight)

This and good composition are the key to making images your competition won't be able to match. Lighting and composition are also the key that will allow you to eventually sell 8x10 prints for $100 each.

Oh I completely agree about not using the flash on the hotshoe. I want to get it off camera. I think my next purchase will be an umbrella for some diffusion so I can really get at it. I am leary of using it without some kind of diffusion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back