3 Minutes From Sunset | Long Exposure

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another shot from my adventure last night out to Shark Tooth Beach, near Santa Cruz CA. I was out to get a shot for Week 48 of my 52 Weeks Project. Turns out, I got two! This one was a 3 minute exposure just after the sun dipped below the horizon to really showcase the colors that were on display.

Hope you like it, and feel free to check out the other image in the link!
Austin

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee Big Stopper
Lee .9GND Soft

3 Minutes From Sunset
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Very nice picture

First glance said you were off by 30 seconds or so, but a venture into photoshop says the center is off by a full stop. I would reshoot at 1:30 then do some PP work on the center area which is still going to be a tad bright at that exposure.

green.jpg

First glance said you were off by 30 seconds or so, but a venture into photoshop says the center is off by a full stop. I would reshoot at 1:30 then do some PP work on the center area which is still going to be a tad bright at that exposure.

View attachment 94423

I appreciate the edit. I was aware that the center was a tad bright. I actually have another exposure which is spot on and even, but I preferred this one. There's only a small area of 255 in the center, so I can live with that. Also, having worked with 10 stop filters for awhile, 1:30 would be nowhere near enough light. With these filters there isn't really such a thing as recovering shadows in post without inducing huge amounts of noise. When they're gone, they're gone.

That said, I do appreciate the well thought critique! :)

I use the same setup on a regular occasion and like you, I find I have to do some more in the PP to keep the details in the shadow areas. Also, of course, the jpeg compression sucks the life out of the sadow detail to start with. Santa Cruz waas one of my favorite surfing places years ago.

love the algae

Love the photo, and the foreground rock is very nice. I'm going to agree though that the bright highlights in the center are a bit distracting for me. Bulldurham's edit is more pleasing to my eye, just because in the original the first thing my eye goes to is the bright highlight areas.

With toning back those highlights a touch, it brings the viewer through the scene from the foreground rocks up toward your horizon. The composition is very nice here, and the sweeping waves draw your eye up throughout the scene, and the bright highlights just take away from that- for me anyway. A great image though

Yes, a very neat image! I'm finding I really love these long shutter photos! Did you do like a selective mask on the green? I really need to learn that tool!

Love the photo, and the foreground rock is very nice. I'm going to agree though that the bright highlights in the center are a bit distracting for me. Bulldurham's edit is more pleasing to my eye, just because in the original the first thing my eye goes to is the bright highlight areas.

With toning back those highlights a touch, it brings the viewer through the scene from the foreground rocks up toward your horizon. The composition is very nice here, and the sweeping waves draw your eye up throughout the scene, and the bright highlights just take away from that- for me anyway. A great image though

I appreciate the thorough reply :) This shot was really a secondary effort to the one that made it into my 52 Weeks project. I could go back and burn down those highlights a tad, but in all honesty it just isn't worth it in my eyes. It's a lesson learned for future shots though!

Yes, a very neat image! I'm finding I really love these long shutter photos! Did you do like a selective mask on the green? I really need to learn that tool!

I'm not sure what you mean by a selective mask on the green, it was just raised in lightroom and dodged a bit up in photoshop :)

Nominated for February Photo of the Month: February POTM Nomination Thread Photography Forum

I love this shot. The colors, the comp, everything. It's a really great photo, imo.

Awesome! Thank you so much! :D Totally made my night!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back