3" of rain in less than 24 hours

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is what happens when you get 50 degree weather and 3" of rain in less than 24 hours in the middle of February.

It could have been far worse if we had more snow but its been a VERY mild winter in Vermont so there was only a couple inches to begin with. But we got water in our basement which is the first time in many years this had happen. Just too much water. I could of ventured out but roads were closed due to ice dams and flooding.

Here are some pictures I took in my backyard!

Erwin-160225-1576.jpg

When we first moved here in the mid 90s, this brook was really small and over the years it has pretty much turned into a river. Its changing direction so its taking alot of our property..nearly 20-30 feet so far.

Erwin-160225-1614.jpg

Erwin-160225-1578.jpg

I was waiting for that big piece of ice to break loose because if floated down and got stuck under a couple fallen down trees upstream, could have caused a small ice dam.

Erwin-160225-1599.jpg

You can see the fallen trees to the left and ice was beginning to build up, that big 15 foot of ice could have caused some problems haha.

Erwin-160225-1583-Pano.jpg

Here's a pano of the brook (river) that runs through my backyard.

Erwin-160225-1613.jpg

Water in my backyard. Doesn't look like a lot until..

Erwin-160225-1611.jpg

Yeah that reads nearly 6" of rain just chilling on my back lawn hahaha.

Erwin-160225-1575.jpg

Instagram shot.

Here's a video of the small babbling brook roaring! It was much higher than this sometime during the night. But I was sleeping.

Spring is finally here though, going to be in the 50s and 60s all week. Its about time..getting sick of this gloomy weather.

Boy does this bring back a memory for me. At our previous house, near a lake, we had fish (pike) swimming over our back lawn in a spring thaw one year.

That is misery!! Flash flooding is always kind of scary; add ice and you definitely have cause for concern. Hope it recedes just as quickly as it came.

Really interesting set! And I love your last "instagram shot" photo as a photo, without any backstory.
In Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi" he wrote about some towns that had been transferred from one state to another by the meandering of the river, which had been a border.

Most reactions

Back