3 Skating shots and 2 portraits

HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took these today, well almost tonight, we getting dark by the time I got round to shooting these and with a few strong jack daniels underway I think these came out pretty good.

Comments and feedback welcome.

img2084webuh0.jpg

img2098webrn6.jpg

img2100webpa4.jpg

img2119webgh1.jpg

img2131webpi1.jpg

img2148webqc8.jpg

These are SCREAMING for an off camera flash.

But over all pretty nice!

These are SCREAMING for an off camera flash.

But over all pretty nice!

I'll have to agree with Jimmy here. Would be nice to see some flash fill. I really like that 1st shot though, great capture.

Yer, I used my canon 40D with 580ex speedlite attached, I took my gear out orignally to shoot some surfing shots, but ended up at the skatepark with these guys, lucky I took any flash with me at all, I do have an ST-E2 and another 430ex speedlite for these occaisons but unfortunetly I didn't have it this time, I plan on shooting some more with the 580ex on a tripod and the 430 attached to the camera. By the way I was using a 24-70 f/2.8L canon lens.

Where would you suggest I set up the tripod with flash for these? And would I still use a flash onboard the camera?

Number 5 is, hmm, a bit of an 'unattractive' view, no matter who you are. But I DID literally laugh out loud to that facial expression.

Yer, I used my canon 40D with 580ex speedlite attached, I took my gear out orignally to shoot some surfing shots, but ended up at the skatepark with these guys, lucky I took any flash with me at all, I do have an ST-E2 and another 430ex speedlite for these occaisons but unfortunetly I didn't have it this time, I plan on shooting some more with the 580ex on a tripod and the 430 attached to the camera. By the way I was using a 24-70 f/2.8L canon lens.

Where would you suggest I set up the tripod with flash for these? And would I still use a flash onboard the camera?

That's going to depend on where you're subject will be in the frame. To the left or right depending on which way the subject is facing. Some backlight might work too. I would try some with your 580 on camera and 430 slaved and then some with your st-e2 and each flash in a different position. Talking about this makes me want to get off the computer and go shoot. Hope this helps. Nice choice for the lense.

Aloha!

When i shooting off camera im never using one on camera cuz i have do keep the cactus v2 transmitter on there. As for flash placement you really have to play around. Ill post some shots and tell you where the flash(es) are.

2423700397_b41766f639_b.jpg

With this one theres one flash to the left of the jumps shooting up from around 3 feet in the air. This is an example of using flash even in a perfectly bright after noon.

2424513208_7451e83d12_b.jpg

Heres an example of the same situation (a lil blown out) but i have the flash with more power and used a smaller aperture to make it look like it was later and darker so he stands out more.

2410068603_31e2188b7c.jpg

In this one i played around with the aperture until i got the sky where i liked it, then i played with the flash power until i like how he was lit. Theres one flash up behind the lip pointing at him and one at the bottom of the ridge at bottom right that i cropped out. If i just had the one flash at the botom of the ramp only one side would be lit but now both side of him are lit (although the flash at bottom provides most of the light)

2410069039_228a870aec.jpg

With this one there is a flash at the bottom of the launch ramp facing his back. This obviously lit his back side and the ramp. Then there is another flash to the side of where he will land that will light the front of him. If it wasnt for that second flash his face and the rest of the front of his body would be dark.

2390861449_9c4b71de80.jpg

This one was shot with the flash on full power at the base of that back wall shooting up against it. I really like this effect and use it alot.

I have tons of these types of pics but there all on myspace (most of the shots i take are for friends myspace pics, haha) and i need to put them on flickr.

Number 5 is, hmm, a bit of an 'unattractive' view, no matter who you are. But I DID literally laugh out loud to that facial expression.

It is rather odd, but upon looking at it a second time, I noticed the smoke. I think that's pretty cool for some reason.

It is rather odd, but upon looking at it a second time, I noticed the smoke. I think that's pretty cool for some reason.

I think its pretty cool too, lol, as unattractive as it is, hehe, and how could you not notice the smoke the first time? lol...

JimmyO, thanks for putting up those pics and where you located the flash(es). :mrgreen:

Use one flash behind at about 45 and higher power to allow for rim light to seperate him from the background, then use your on camera one for fill light, or set it up in front somewhere to fill in shadows and have the rider correctly exposed.

I also suggest using different angles. Get a step ladder, and get close and use your wide angle. Then get down low and close and shoot up. These two things will improve the pictures 10 fold.

Looks great though! I've always wanted to shoot skaters, but it's something I'll likely never get into.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back