3 snowy pics for c&c please

Fishboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some while i was out fishing.........

032.jpg

039copy.jpg

040copy.jpg

Cheers,

Fishboy

Last edited:
Some nice ideas but all are rather over-exposed. Remember that when you're metering extremes (bright or dark) that your camera's meter, which is designed to read everything as middle grey will be 'fooled' to some degree.

So should i change the metering mode? Exposure compensate? or?

Cheers,

Fishboy

I really like the last one a lot. The first two don't do alot for me.

So should i change the metering mode? Exposure compensate? or?

Cheers,

Fishboy

Meter correctly for the situation. I don't mean that in a snippy sort of way; as I said, your camera's meter assumes that it's looking at middle grey, so when the subject is in reality, bright white, it will invariably come out looking like a muddy, grey scene. The best way, IMO, is to set your camera to 'Manual' and metering to 'Spot'. Now, meter the palm of your hand and then add one full stop (This is because average caucasian skin is approximately one stop brighter than middle grey), that is, if the camera indicates that you need an exposure of 1/125 @f8 for a correct exposure, then increase to 1/250 @ f8 or 1/125 @ f11, or an equivalent combination.

This will get you in the ball-park, and you can tweak your exposure slightly as necessary from there.

Many thanks Tirediron, that's a great tip!:D

With regards to composition, the last is the one that speaks to me most. Though I somehow also like the step into abstractness that the first offers, with just the random variety of branches and twigs going in all directions so randomly. My son would like your fly rod most, though that photo is so tiny. But his seems to look similar. I am too unfamiliar with the sport to see the finer details, though ;).

The last one seems most visually interesting to me. Also, there is some overexposure as others have mentioned... perhaps use manual mode and lower exposure until you've gotten rid of most of the "blinkies" and then use ACR to tone/contrast to taste.

I also liked the second shot pretty well. But to really make it pop, it needs some strong contrast in my opinion. Right now the branch that the fishing rod is sitting on blends to closely into the snowy background. It's an easy fix and I think it'd make that photo a winner. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments guys, i tried to make the second pic bigger but seem to be struggling with photobucket for some reason!:lol:

I hate them, but thats just cause of the snow lol. Thats why I moved to Florida, no more snow.

Very constructive "jedi", thanks!

I like the last one also. The gate looks like star of david.

Meter correctly for the situation. I don't mean that in a snippy sort of way; as I said, your camera's meter assumes that it's looking at middle grey, so when the subject is in reality, bright white, it will invariably come out looking like a muddy, grey scene. The best way, IMO, is to set your camera to 'Manual' and metering to 'Spot'. Now, meter the palm of your hand and then add one full stop (This is because average caucasian skin is approximately one stop brighter than middle grey), that is, if the camera indicates that you need an exposure of 1/125 @f8 for a correct exposure, then increase to 1/250 @ f8 or 1/125 @ f11, or an equivalent combination.

This will get you in the ball-park, and you can tweak your exposure slightly as necessary from there.

Forgive me tiredon if I'm wrong but above u say that if the camera inicates an exposure of 1/125 @f8 , then you want to increase 1 full stop for brighter snow (1 stop above middle grey) shouldn't the exposure be 1/60 @ f8 or 1/125 @ 5.6

Forgive me tiredon if I'm wrong but above u say that if the camera inicates an exposure of 1/125 @f8 , then you want to increase 1 full stop for brighter snow (1 stop above middle grey) shouldn't the exposure be 1/60 @ f8 or 1/125 @ 5.6

Arggh! Apparently this cold has affected more than my nose! :er: Thank-you, you are indeed correct.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back