3 standard zooms

I own the latest version of the sigma 17-50. I literally never use it because I can’t stand the inconsistent results. One shot the focus is dead on, the next it backfocuses by several FEET. No amount of AF fine tune has fixed this. I’ve talked to several others who have had the same problem. The sigma also has a fairly cheap plastic build quality.

I’ve nevler used a Nikon 17-55 but that’s what I’d be buying if I was sticking to Dx. Ive never heard a bad thing about it and it’s all metal construction. Built like a tank. I handled one in a store once and it felt like a brick.. In a good way.
Hey destin. Yeah while it seemed to be raved about being the best standard zoom to stick on a DX, alas so many people have issues with it.
For that reason ive steered away. The tamron sister lens is supposedly loud as F and is slow focusing. So I have to skip that too.
The nikon flagship quite simply doesnt seem worth its weight in both senses.

I am debating now between the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 art and the sigma 35mm prime f1.4 art.
Hard choice...the 18-35 has more versitility via range but isnt transferable to FX come time I eventually switch. Its vignetting is also not the greatest.
The 35mm f1.4 looks great, with a price though and may cause me issues as a walk around when I do need shorter or higher.

Such decisions to make.

Have you considered a 24-70? Sure it’s made for full frame but is also very useful on a crop sensor.

You could get the last generation Tamron 24-70 VC for like $600 used. Rented one last month and it was great.

I own the latest version of the sigma 17-50. I literally never use it because I can’t stand the inconsistent results. One shot the focus is dead on, the next it backfocuses by several FEET. No amount of AF fine tune has fixed this. I’ve talked to several others who have had the same problem. The sigma also has a fairly cheap plastic build quality.

I’ve nevler used a Nikon 17-55 but that’s what I’d be buying if I was sticking to Dx. Ive never heard a bad thing about it and it’s all metal construction. Built like a tank. I handled one in a store once and it felt like a brick.. In a good way.
Hey destin. Yeah while it seemed to be raved about being the best standard zoom to stick on a DX, alas so many people have issues with it.
For that reason ive steered away. The tamron sister lens is supposedly loud as F and is slow focusing. So I have to skip that too.

I am debating now between the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 art and the sigma 35mm prime f1.4 art.
Hard choice...the 18-35 has more versitility via range but isnt transferable to FX come time I eventually switch. Its vignetting is also not the greatest.
The 35mm f1.4 looks great, with a price though and may cause me issues as a walk around when I do need shorter or higher.

Such decisions to make.

Have you considered a 24-70? Sure it’s made for full frame but is also very useful on a crop sensor.

You could get the last generation Tamron 24-70 VC for like $600 used. Rented one last month and it was great.
Not sharp enough for my liking

Such decisions to make.

Really? The copy I rented was tack sharp. Equal to any of my other lenses for sure.

ROFL. Good luck.

Such decisions to make.

Really? The copy I rented was tack sharp. Equal to any of my other lenses for sure.
Perhaps the DxO ratings dont mean much but I am currently looking to buy whats deemed the one of the sharpest lenses made for DX only: sigma 18-35 f1.8.
Is the lens you are mentioning better? It only comes out as 11/24mp while the sigma 18-35 comes out as 17/24mp.

You need to get off dxo mark. you need to understand what the subjective P-mpix rating even means (ie, learn to read a MTF). And you really need to learn that dxo rated sharpness isn't everything.

yes, that sigma a very nice lens.

Last edited:
You need to get off dxo mark. you need to understand what the subjective P-mpix rating even means (ie, learn to read a MTF). And you really need to learn that dxo rated sharpness isn't everything.

yes, that sigma a very nice lens.

Alright, I appreciate that.

You know, I'm really passionate about photography and I'm just looking for the best I can jam on my D7100. That's just me, I'm picky and I strive for perfection.

Thus far, I've quite liked my Nikon 35mm f1.8g and it has been my workhorse without question...
I'm looking to upgrade further from there though and I haven't been presented a different reference tool other than DXO which seemed more trustworthy than some other articles I have read on the net talking about lenses.

Additionally, some lenses that people said were sharp, I did not find aesthetically pleasing whatsoever...for instance the Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 VR has been a disappointment to me. Bummer spending the money and not getting what you want out of it, you know what I mean?

my 58mm 1.4 is not sharp on paper, but i love how it renders.

Agreed that Dxo Mark isn’t the end all be all. Sample photos are important to view.

I’ve borrowed my friend’s 18-35 1.8. Stellar lens and if you’re positive you want to stay on a crop sensor I’d get one.

But if you even remotely have the urge to upgrade to full frame, I’d start collecting full frame glass now as it will last you a lot longer.

I use the Nikon 17-55 on my D500, and it's the lens I use about 95% of the time. It is built like a tank, has constant f/2.8 aperture, and has accurate lightning fast autofocus. I bought it used a few years ago in excellent condition and have no regrets. I probably wouldn't recommend buying it new - it's a pretty steep price tag and you can find plenty of them on the used market. It has a few negatives - it can be soft wide open on the long end (55mm at f/2.8), but sharpens up pretty quickly stepped down to f/4 or so, and it's pretty heavy, although that's the trade-off for the sturdier build.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back