30 days (muslims in america)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KevinR, Jun 30, 2005.

1. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

If you didn't get to watch it, this was a really good one. They got a devout Christian from West Virginia to live as a Muslim for 30 days in Dearborn, Michigan. I'm biased, because it was filmed in my backyard. They treated pretty much everybody with respect. The only part that I thought was skewed for television was when the guy had to try to get people to sign a petition against racial profiling and they picked Howell, Michigan as the city to go to. This is probably on of the most intolerant areas in the metro area. This was at one time the home of the leader of the Aryan Nation. And just recently was in the news because an auction house was selling KKK memorabilia. He would not have gotten such responses in alot of other cities. But that wouldn't make as compelling television.

p.s The Mosque that they showed a number of times that was under construction is finished and quite beautiful. It's only about a 1/4 mile from the school I teach at.

2. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I saw an advertisement for this show. Cannot recall that channel it was on, maybe Sundance or IFC. I’m not trilled with show like this because IMO they seem to try to push peoples emotions to the limits, for compelling TV. Still I may try to watch it so, I can see if your backyard need mowed[​IMG]

3. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I watched it and I love the show! It's like mini documentaries and they are quite good. It was interesting to see what he went through and the changes made b/c of this experience.

Really great show though, the people choose to do these things, so it may push emotions but many times causes them to think differently. They can quit at any time...

4. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

The show is on FX, Wednesday at 10:00pm. Really well done.

I agree with you that I don't like that. But I think they really are sensitive to the whole of everybodies feelings. And the people are volenteers, they know what they are getting into.

5. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    I read about a show similar to this they are filming in Australia.

Not sure what it is called. But it is the same sort of thing, however they are sending a family back in time.

The family will be dressing up in late 1800's clothes (i think it was 1800's) and living like that for a couple of months. They will be living on a farm with animals, etc.

One of the things that got me, one of the girls had to chop off all of her hair because the brush was made out of hogs hair and it made her hair all knotted.

Sounds fun

6. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They had something similar here called pioneer house on public broadcasting... Another one called frontier house.

7. inneist

inneist TPF Noob!

Kevin, I do not live in the States so I don´t have a chance to watch it on TV. Anything I might still find on Internet? Thanks.

8. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

9. inneist

inneist TPF Noob!

Strange, the site works for me at the moment. The actress in the promo looks like "Alison" in Melrose Place.

Thank you Kevin.

10. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

Which school do you teach at?

11. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Henry Ford Community College (the Harvard on the Rouge) :)