$300 or less Product Shot / Macro lens (Nikon)

bmilcs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a D7000 with a 35mm/1.8g lens to boot. It was highly recommended by members here and other forums but it isn't ideal for what I'm looking to shoot. I specifically am looking for a strong "macro" lens - one that specializes in closeup product shots and one that will also be able to double as a decent portrait lens. I keep reading TRUE macro photography is 1:1 and for those purposes, 105mm or larger is necessary in order to get some distance between you and your subject - to avoid affecting lighting, etc.

Now, I don't mind getting upclose and personal 1:1 magnification isn't necessary for what I want to shoot (vintage razors, shaving brushes, etc.) for EBay and "Shave of the day" shots. Weird - i KNOW :D.

Anyhow, what options do I have aside from the 60mm/2.8 AF-D and 40mm/2.8G and which would you recommend? Both are obtainable under $300 but the 60mm lacks VR. I want to be able to do handheld shots - without a tripod - without sacrificing quality by jacking up the shutter speed.

Again, $300 or so budget, macro lens. What do I do? :) I am returning my 35mm/1.8g because I can't get as close as I want and I am striving for a better product lens.

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend the 60mm f2.8D; it does lack VR, but really, do you actually need VR on a 60mm lens? I would say not, and it makes a dynamite portrait lens, especially on a DX body.

I wasn't sure. The only lens I've used had it so I didn't want to make a mistake with a second lens.

VR allows you to shoot at slower shutter speeds than can safely be hand-held. Almost everyone can hand-hold safely at 1/60, and when you get much below that, you have to worry about subject movement.

trying to figure out why you need VR for product shots under good lighting of stationary objects with the camera most likely on a tripod.

Excellent. Are there any other options in this price range - other brands worth checking out? Also, aside from KEH / adoroma / bhphoto - are there any other good, inexpensive used vendors out there that are reputable?

Hello,

I recently purchased a D7000 with a 35mm/1.8g lens to boot. It was highly recommended by members here and other forums but it isn't ideal for what I'm looking to shoot. I specifically am looking for a strong "macro" lens - one that specializes in closeup product shots and one that will also be able to double as a decent portrait lens. I keep reading TRUE macro photography is 1:1 and for those purposes, 105mm or larger is necessary in order to get some distance between you and your subject - to avoid affecting lighting, etc.

Now, I don't mind getting upclose and personal 1:1 magnification isn't necessary for what I want to shoot (vintage razors, shaving brushes, etc.) for EBay and "Shave of the day" shots. Weird - i KNOW :D.

Anyhow, what options do I have aside from the 60mm/2.8 AF-D and 40mm/2.8G and which would you recommend? Both are obtainable under $300 but the 60mm lacks VR. I want to be able to do handheld shots - without a tripod - without sacrificing quality by jacking up the shutter speed.

Again, $300 or so budget, macro lens. What do I do? :) I am returning my 35mm/1.8g because I can't get as close as I want and I am striving for a better product lens.

Thanks!

trying to figure out why you need VR for product shots under good lighting of stationary objects with the camera most likely on a tripod.

^ did you read my OP?

same comment applies.

Tirediron - while I have your attention, what other lenses would you recommend for someone starting off? It'd be nice to have a decent zoom lens as well for general photography. I'm going to be outdoors a lot this summer with my fiancee and two stepsons.

How about an iPhone: Impressive Product Shot Captured with an iPhone 5s and an LED Light

Effective product photography is easiest when you control the setup. As the video shows, once you've done that effectively, you don't need an outstanding camera to get very good results. Note that the subject and camera in this case are both stationary; thus, VR won't be needed. I'm not convinced that this is a lens problem.

Tirediron - while I have your attention, what other lenses would you recommend for someone starting off? It'd be nice to have a decent zoom lens as well for general photography. I'm going to be outdoors a lot this summer with my fiancee and two stepsons.
Depends; what's your budget? My favorite 'walk-around' lens is the 24-70 f2.8, but it's not a cheap one. Really, unless you have a need that they won't meet, the dynamic duo of kit zooms 18-55 and 55-200 are pretty decent for most casual applications.

I was and can get good product shots with my lightbox, iPhone and/or 35mm/1.8g. However, I can't focus in as close as I would like at times. The minimum focus distance and focal length? I assume attribute to that. I really lack the vocab and understanding to explain it to you.

My closeups with a long shutter speed, light box, f22, etc. were pretty good. I'm proficient with Light Room & Photoshop - shooting in raw and then editing it. I really like to get in there and take off angles that my tripod won't allow me to do. Product shots doesn't really express what I'm trying to do either. Essentially, in the wetshaving world, people create these shave of the day pics where you show off the gear you used on each day. I want to get more creative with it and bring items outdoors, shoot them at different angles, etc. I plan on going out in the summer with my family and taking nice handheld portraits as well as up close nature shots. The 35mm/1.8g was decent at this but I wanted to be able to zoom in closer at times and it simply wouldn't let me focus. The minimum focus distance wasn't as close as I hoped it would be. With my iPhone, I could get right up on the subject --- inches away where the 35mm limited this.

Depends; what's your budget? My favorite 'walk-around' lens is the 24-70 f2.8, but it's not a cheap one. Really, unless you have a need that they won't meet, the dynamic duo of kit zooms 18-55 and 55-200 are pretty decent for most casual applications.

I only purchased the camera body and didn't get a kit lens. My budget is again - $300 or under preferably.

I think it is better to invest on lighting than get a new lens. How big are the brushes?

I think it is better to invest on lighting than get a new lens. How big are the brushes?

These items are small.

$p1.JPG$p02.jpeg$p04.jpeg

Here are some examples I took with my iPhone. This is roughly what I'm talking about. I purchased my D7000 so I could have more control over the lighting and move outside of the lightbox :D

Most reactions

Back