$300 to spend what to do, what to do.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by flameshots, Jan 15, 2010.

1. flameshots

flameshots No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok I'm torn. As I said I have about $300 in hand right now but I could easily have $700 in a couple of weeks. My current camera is a digital rebel XT. at 8 mp and a very small monitor. I was considering replacing my body with an XTi or other similar body.

I know, I know, this horse has been beaten to ad nauseam but would you guys keep my current body and buy some better glass or would you go ahead and replace the body while I can. I'm leaning towards replacing the body but I just wanted to put it out to the rest of the camera world and see what you guys think.

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you finding that the 8mp is limiting? ie - are you blowing up your images bigger than 16x24?
    The LCD on the back won't change much with the XTI. Its not size, its quality. It will remain an unreliable way to judge your image until you hit the 50D +.

XT -> XTI I would say no.
    Save for a better upgrade like to a 40D or purchase glass such as a 50mm 1.4

3. flameshots

Photos OK to edit
    I do want to print larger than that. I currently have one water fall shot that has been blown up to 24x36. I haven't noticed any grain but it is a very "busy" background so it may not be as visible.

So the larger LCD on the XTi will not make much difference? I still feel like it would be better than I have, if for nothing else to see the EXIF, HISTOGRAM better.

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Only you know your needs. If you have a reason to upgrade, do so. Glass is usually better to get. But dont just upgrade because you can. And jumping up one generation like that won't do too much IMO

5. flameshots

Photos OK to edit
    I appreciate the input. I think I am going to start looking for some better glass. Once you buy high quality glass you can always upgrade the body.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    How about 50mm f/1.8 and save the rest.... see if you like shooting with a prime...

7. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Good idea right here! or save it, save it ALL! wait till you get $1000 or so then get some really nice glass!

8. j-digg

j-digg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also say avoid the body 'upgrade' you have in mind, just because its so slight. $300 is getting you in the neighborhood of the 50 1.4, which I can personally reccommend. Or as mentioned, the 1.8 is the cheaper option, I have one for sale btw ;)