30D confusion

CW Jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just browsing through some of my pictures... and I noticed all my dpi resolutions are at 72.... why is this? I shoot on large in fine quality... I am a little confused someone help me! :lol:

and yes I have the manual for it... its in a pdf file on my laptop.... BUT I can't open it lol

Last edited:
This is one of the most often asked questionns.

The PPI (pixels per inch, not dots) number is just a reference to tell the computer how large to display it on the monitor. You can change it (without re-sampling) to anything....20 or 10,000...it doesn't really matter.

The important number to note is the actual size of the image, which (for you camera) should be 3504 x 2336.

When you go to print an image, you may want to change the PPI number to something like 240 or 300.

Ok cool that works for me! I thought my SX110 could change the ppi in the camera... maybe I was thinking of something else! haha

Thanks Big Mike!

Ok cool that works for me! I thought my SX110 could change the ppi in the camera...

The PPI doesn't really exist as a property of the image itself. It is merely a note appended to the header (EXIF data) that says, in effect, "hey, software app, the creator of this image prefers that it be displayed/printed/... at 72ppi". Some cameras specify a PPI and some leave the field blank. Some that specify one allow the user a choice in one of the camera's settings. Others don't.

Most software apps will use 72ppi as a default when encountering an image that has no specified PPI setting. Photoshop uses 72ppi as its default. Adobe Camera RAW has a user set default that it uses, and passes on to Photoshop, regardless of what might be recorded in the files header. ACR generally uses 240ppi out-of-the-box and many users change this to 300ppi.

Again, regardless of the PPI setting, image quality is controlled by the number of pixels in the image and not any PPI setting in the file. Also, in truth, PPI is meaningless until there are actual inches. There are no inches in a digital file. They only exist when the image is printed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back