30D Focusing Problem

Leo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just wanted to know if this problem is common with my camera. Lately I have been experiencing slow focusing on my camera. It would focus a subject and then go out of focus, camera would just go in and out of focus several times and then when it seems like it's in focus, camera won't even shoot. It's like my shutter is locked or something. Camera seems to be confused. This would go on for several minutes and then work flawlessly. I tried changing batteries and CF cards and it would do the same thing. Maybe my sensors needs to be cleaned? Any ideas suggestions? I haven't tried resetting my camera to default, I am going to try that tonight.

I will take my camera to a repair shop but I just thought I'd post this here to see if somebody had any similar experience.

Leo,

Most focusing problems are a lens issue - the 30D is part of the system, but lenses are usually the culprits.

You have 3 lenses in your siggy. They all act up like this?

Leo,

Most focusing problems are a lens issue - the 30D is part of the system, but lenses are usually the culprits.

You have 3 lenses in your siggy. They all act up like this?

Yes I have problems on the 2 lenses except the 50mm lens, haven't used the 50mm in awhile.

Are you shooting in very low light situations?

I can't imagine lighting condition in order for 24-70L to "search" while AFing. I have a 17-40L and auto-focus works in almost near darkness - I also have a 30D. My 28-135 does what you are describing when it is too dark.

Are you shooting in very low light situations?

I can't imagine lighting condition in order for 24-70L to "search" while AFing. I have a 17-40L and auto-focus works in almost near darkness - I also have a 30D. My 28-135 does what you are describing when it is too dark.

It didn't matter what light conditions I had, low light or daylight it would do the same thing. With or without flash it would do the same thing. I tried using both Manual and Program Mode too.

Mine does that also when It is too dark. It gets confused as to where to focus. Try using manual focus?

Wow, Leo. 2 different lenses, same issue - that seems to indicate the camera has a problem.

I wonder. Loose contact in the mount...dirty contacts (eraser polish)...software glitch (pray)...dirty sensor...

I wonder if you just need to bite the bullet and make the trip to the shop. I had a hair over the sensors once (old film EOS camera) but I could see it, and a few robust puffs into the camera from my squeezy bullet thingy, with the lens mount pointed downward, blew that and a ton of dust out, cleared me right up.

Good luck with this one...I have a 40D and wonder how it's going to come out for you...

Wow, Leo. 2 different lenses, same issue - that seems to indicate the camera has a problem.

I wonder. Loose contact in the mount...dirty contacts (eraser polish)...software glitch (pray)...dirty sensor...

I wonder if you just need to bite the bullet and make the trip to the shop. I had a hair over the sensors once (old film EOS camera) but I could see it, and a few robust puffs into the camera from my squeezy bullet thingy, with the lens mount pointed downward, blew that and a ton of dust out, cleared me right up.

Good luck with this one...I have a 40D and wonder how it's going to come out for you...

yeah, i am gonna take it in tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes

I read this blog from another post http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

I cleaned the contact points on the lens and the camera with a pencil eraser. So far so good, I think I have solved my problem. I'll have to try it out in daylight to see if it will act up again. So far I haven't had any problems with our without flash in low light.

AHA!!!

The old eraser polish - sweet.

Good on ya - cheers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back