30D+Lenses

CMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am considering my options for my next camera. Trying to cover all the bases; I asked about the bridge cameras, so now I'm going to ask about pro SLR's.

If I were to go with such a system, I would be considering a setup something like this.

Canon 30D
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG Macro

Would the 50mm be enough for big landscape shots (Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, etc.), or should I consider something like a 26mm? Or maybe just a standard 18-55?

Thanks.

The XTi might be better in the fact that it has 2 more MP, but the 30D has better construction, higher ISO capability, a quicker max shutter speed, and it can shoot 2 FPS quicker.

My biggest problem with the 400D my dad has is that (no offense to any 400D owners) it just feels sort of cheap. The 30D just seems sturdier, and it feels like it's well constructed in your hands.

I agree on the better glass for the XTi; that's something that's definetly needed.

Jeff Canes said:
Your father's 400D is better that the current the 30D, check out the spec, get a better lens
Like with most things, "better" depends on what you want to use it for. For me, the 30D would be a better camera just because of the thumbwheel. I don't use M often, but the wheel makes things easier when I do. I also prefer the larger body. I'll trade in a few bits of higher spec for usability.

The 30D is in a tough spot. Canon didn't do all that much of an upgrade from the 20D...but then they released the 400D, 7 months later. It's my opinion that they rushed the 400D because of the new Nikon D80 and Sony Alpha. This kind of cut out the feet from under the D30. The D30 is more expensive and has a better body and a few good features...but the 400D has a new sensor and other newer technology. I'm hopeful that Canon will give us something new, or at least an upgrade in February.

so now I'm going to ask about pro SLR's.
I still wouldn't call the 30D a pro SLR. 1Ds mk II...now that's a pro SLR.

As for lenses, I'll always recommend the 50mm F1.8 because it has a fantastic price to performance ratio. However, that's not very wide on this camera. Think about it like this. Would you be OK with your 18-55 lens if it was always at 55mm? I'd want something a lot wider for the grand canyon.

I'd suggest the kit lens...or maybe an upgrade to a Sigma or Tamron in the 17-50 range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back