30D

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I think I have finally found the camera I'm getting. It seems to be built strong (metal parts) and I want a camera thats solid. Also it does only have 8 MP which isn't really that bad. Is the price gap between the 30D and the D80 worth it? Which one takes shaper images? or are they about the same other than the steel body on the 30D? I also plan on buying a canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens for now (its cheap). Also it has DC motor instead of a USM to drive the AF. Is that bad? I'll be getting a better lens for my birthday (augest) so it only needs to be a decent lens.

...betwen the two. The D80 has the megapixel award, it's $100 cheaper here where I live than the 30D with 2MP more. Not that that makes a huge difference. The sharpness is a function of the lenses you choose, and both N and C make good stuff. Pick the brand you have the most legacy equipment for, otherwise flip a coin.

Well the real buying point for me is the steal body. Something that I like about 35mm SLR's. I also shoot a canon FTb so I feel better with canon.

You're going to spend almost $1200 dollars on a camera body, and spend a little over $100 on a cheap plastic lens?

You're going to spend almost $1200 dollars on a camera body, and spend a little over $100 on a cheap plastic lens?

My thoughts exactly. The lower-priced ("entry-level" if we must call them that) dSLRs are capable of producing great images and should still be fairly sturdy, and would leave you with a lot of money left to go towards some really good glass instead of a single cheap zoom with no real wide-angle. You may be receiving a better lens in August, but unless that lens is amazing enough to then be your only lens, it seems like a lot of camera (and a lot of money) for the glass that will be attached to it.

My thoughts exactly. The lower-priced ("entry-level" if we must call them that) dSLRs are capable of producing great images and should still be fairly sturdy, and would leave you with a lot of money left to go towards some really good glass instead of a single cheap zoom with no real wide-angle. You may be receiving a better lens in August, but unless that lens is amazing enough to then be your only lens, it seems like a lot of camera (and a lot of money) for the glass that will be attached to it.

but that body has a great feel to it, and being the cheapest serious camera (as far as pro goes) it gives you plenty of room to upgrade as need be. But yes I do agree, better to have good glass on a cheap body than cheap glass on an expensive body.

Ok so what are some good cameras I should look at? And lens that will go good with it all for about $1500 all to gether.

Edit:

How would a Digital Rebel XT Combo w/ EF 17-40L USM lens be? then I can get a 50mm f1.4 for my birthday. If I do that then I'll get a EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM out of my own money later on. I think that sounds like a good set of lens.

How would a Digital Rebel XT Combo w/ EF 17-40L USM lens be?
That would give you better results than a 30D with a cheap 28-80 lens. The 30D is a better camera (in some ways) than the XT but the 17-40 F4 L lens is absolutely fantastic...and makes all the difference.

On the other hand, if you really want/need a better body then the 30D would be a good choice. I bought my first 20D when the XT was just coming out. I thought about the XT but went with the 20D because of the feel of the body. Not only is it bigger and stronger but the controls are laid out much better...same thing with the 30D.

In the long run, the difference in price (from the XT to the 3D) will matter less and less.

Here are some suggestions for you to check out. Look at the 30D with the usual kit lens, EF-S 18-55mm. Sure, the lens isn't much better than the 28-80mm lens but it's cheap and will be useful until you get something better. It's not actually as bad as most people say, when stopped down.

Alternatively, you could skip the cheap kit lens and get something like the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8. Either of which is much better than the kit lens. The 17-40 F4 L is also a choice, it's a fantastic lens, although slower at F4. Personally, I went with the 17-50 F2.8 Tamron and I love it.

Yea and the 30D looks like the buttons are set up more like the nikons. I'll look at those lenses you recommended as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back