30D

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by haleyme, Jul 30, 2007.

1. haleyme

haleyme TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just bought the Canon 30D. I am looking at the Sandisk 8g extreme VI compact flash card on amazon. its 160.00. what do you think? good deal? anything i should know about the card, or the camera?

thanks guys

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally would buy smaller cards, like 2gig cards. As the old adage says, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sandisk Extreme cards are pretty good...I have a couple and they are great. Sandisk Ultra II cards are also pretty good...and usually a good price as well.

As Matt said, 8GB is a lot of photo...and if you ever lost the card or it became damaged...that would be a lot of photos to loose. On the other hand, having a large card means less switching of cards or having to worry about a bunch of cards.

If you are OK with the idea of having all those photos on one card...then go for it.

4. hudsonp

hudsonp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    also keep in mind that just because the card is 133x, the camera will not write that fast. i don't remember the number off hand, but i THINK the Canon's write at a max of 60x - but you will be able to pull the images to your computer faster with a faster card.

5. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

The Extreme III card keeps up with my 30D at 5fps shooting RAW+JPEG, so an Extreme IV isn't necessary. And also keep in mind, the Extreme IV reads and writes at 40MB/sec and most USB readers write at 20MB/sec even though it has a burst rate of 480MB/sec. Basically you need a firewire reader to fully utilize the downloading capability of the card. A couple 2GB Extreme III's is what I'd recommend.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My local Costco has 4 Gig, Ultra II CF cards for $74 CDN.

7. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You say it keeps up, what does that mean? How many shots do you get before you get a slowdown in FPS? I usually switch to JPEG when shooting sports because otherwise I can't get the number of shots I need.

8. A four-gig card can be backed up to a single DVD. Something worth doing after a good day out shooting.

9. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haleyme..... As mentioned, SanDisk is the leading brand, not so much because of price, but more importantly, they are reliable.

You have a very large buffer in your 30D so read/write speed should never be a problem.

From the 'ultra ll' series on up you are in fine shape.

Even though I mentioned reliability, the 8Gb size card should only be considered if you NEED it due to shooting requirements. That is a lot of potential data loss. Accidents do happen, like losing or physically damaging the card.

My wife and I shoot together and we have found having 3-4 2Gb cards each comes in handy if we need to loan each other a card during sessions.

Swapping a card is less than 10 seconds work and easy to do. Buy a card safe that holds 2 or 4 cards and slide it into your pocket.

Having the largest card in the crowd doesn't count.

10. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I didn't say anything about Sandisk or anything, I am not the orginal poster. The buffer will only hold 9 shots RAW @ 5/FPS, not nearly enough; hence why I switch to JPEG and get closer to 30.

11. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

The camera buffer only allows 9 frames in RAW+JPEG before it stops, but it keeps up by writing to the card fast enough that I'm not hindered when I need to take another shot.

12. haleyme

haleyme TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, I didn't expect so much activity. So, the majority of what I am getting here is, forget about the 8g, its unnesscary. A few 2g would be better.