$32 an hour or $1000 a minute?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by KmH, Nov 19, 2009.

1. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How you present what you sell, is more important than what you sell!

Do you present your images at the bus station (online), at the Opera House (a darkened big screen presentation room at your studio), or somewhere in between? It has a significant effect on your total sales revenue.

A Photo Editor - Perception Is Everything

It's worth it to take the time to read the entire Washington Post story about what Joshua Bell did.

2. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Big up for the link KMH!!!! Outstanding insight and very useful to me.

Love & Bass

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :thumbup: Pretty amazing stuff.

Glad to hear it got you pumped up.

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The lack of understanding of the point of presentation explains why there are so many poor photographer web sites out there. You need to decide how you want to present yourself and what market sector you want to appeal to, and then ensure that absolutely every decision regarding the design, makeup and content of your website reflects your objectives.

In going through a photography web site, it can be hard to see whether the photographer seems to be skilled at all, or where his/her talents lie. At the very least, photographer web sites should comply with basic design standards related to use of font, colour, size, navigation tools, etc. and of course spelling and grammar should be correct. Photos should display an understanding of the basics in both technique and composition and be beyond the snapshot level of quality.

The reality is that too often there is a mixed message presented by photographer web sites of someone who knows a "little" but not enough about web design, and a "little" but not enough about some areas of photography. The result is that knowledgeable viewers would not seriously consider hiring such a photographer.

skieur

5. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Good read. Thanks for the link

6. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some good stuff there.

When I was a waiter at a restaurant during college, I had a customer who wanted to try our Brazilian coffee; he had heard it was excellent. Unfortunately, we had run out of coffee earlier in the day and only had store bought Folgers. So not wanting to ruin the reputation of our coffee, I told him that we had run out of the Brazilian coffee, but had another restaurant blend from our supplier. He replied "that will be fine, at least its not Folgers." As he was leaving after his meal, I told him that I would be sure to have our Brazilian coffee for the next time, and he thanked me and commented that even the coffee tonight was good, "much better than Folgers." :lmao:

This just goes to show you that photography (or any business) is as much, if not more, about selling yourself, as it is your actual product and service.

7. jubb

jubb TPF Noob!

Great article. I guess the goal is then to be the BMW instead of the kia, the Luxury photographer.

8. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good thoughts. It seems like the message that some people were trying to get across was that it's all a big lie to charge for more professional presentation. As a consumer, I don't feel like a business that charges for professional presentation is ripping me off. Granted that I will expect more from that business because I'm paying more, but I still don't consider it cheating for them to put more effort into improving display and charging more.

Secondly, there's a lot to be said about selling the experience instead of just selling the prints that are a result of the process. I wouldn't really want a photographer who was boring and presented himself poorly taking my pictures. I'd feel more comfortable with someone who took the time to look presentable.

Also, in an art field, it seems like it should be obvious that presentation would increase value. The presentation itself IS art. The 2 can't be easily separated.

9. jubb

jubb TPF Noob!

I guess you are paying for professionalism and assurance that you'll get quality work. They gotta back it up though, go above and beyond. It's more than looking the part, they gotta act the part too.

10. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That violinist story has always been a load of **** to me. People pay HUNDREDS of dollars to go to overpriced concerts every year; same with sporting venues - all the while they could listen to their favorite artist at home, or watch the game on their HDTV. It's not about the product it's about the experience. Nevermind that the same audience that will listen to that violinist, is not the same audience that is going to be schleping around the metro station.

As for the poorly designed website, only an idiot would use that to valuate the quality of the individuals work; however it is completely valid to use it as a measure of the individuals PROFESSIONALITY. An individual with a crappy website may well be an individual who doesn't care about final edits, or getting proofs out on time, etc. etc.