35-70 2.8 lens hood?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using the HB26 on dx with no issues. On fx it is horrible on the 35mm end. Its a black circle. I hear the original hb1 sucks. Anyone else out there who's had success with a nice hood? These flare a good amount.

The HB26 is for a 70-300 mm f4.0-5.6 zoom. Get the correct hood for your lens.

chris said:
The HB26 is for a 70-300 mm f4.0-5.6 zoom. Get the correct hood for your lens.

I know what it's for. The hb1 is pointless when on a dx. I'm asking if there's an alternative to the hb1. I haven't ready any decent reviews. Thank you though.

Last edited:
Your HB-26 may work ok when using the lens on a DX body but on an FX body the field of view and image circle required is larger and so you need a different hood to avoid vignetting. Nikon designed the lens and matched it to the HB-1 hood, why would you not use it when using the lens on an FX body?

chris said:
Your HB-26 may work ok when using the lens on a DX body but on an FX body the field of view and image circle required is larger and so you need a different hood to avoid vignetting. Nikon designed the lens and matched it to the HB-1 hood, why would you not use it when using the lens on an FX body?

This is nothing new. I am asking if there's a better alternative to the hb1. Not whether or not should I use that one. The 35-70 flare sucks point blank. If you have another idea besides the hb1 post it. Otherwise, you are preaching to choir. Not trying to sound like an ass but you aren't answering my question. You are just reaffirming what I already know. The hb1 is the designated lens hood. However, it doesn't do the best job. If there's no other option then it is what it is and the hb1 it will be ( unless I decide to sell it and just get the 28-70 or the 24-70.)

Try cupping your left hand over the front of the lens, noob. You're so noobish it hurts my eyes to view your thread.

IS THIS YOUR FIRST DAY WITH A CAMERA? JEEZE BRO. JEEZE.

o hey tyler said:
Try cupping your left hand over the front of the lens, noob. You're so noobish it hurts my eyes to view your thread.

IS THIS YOUR FIRST DAY WITH A CAMERA? JEEZE BRO. JEEZE.

Lol. I don't want to do that every time bro!

Mach0, as you can see this is my first post, and I came to this thread because I have your same problem (well in my case I don't even have a HB-26) and I am looking for an alternative hood.

I found out that the only two hoods that fit nicely on the 35-70 are either the HB-26 and the HB-15. Turns out they are both for the 70-300 (HB-26 for the G and HB-15 for the ED). They should give equal performance, in the good sense (DX), and in the bad (FX).

So, so far I personally see no alternative, BUT maybe you could remove some lenght from the HB-26 to work on FX (given the low price they sell for, you could buy another one and "custom mod it" so that it works well on FX).

I am personally going to get a 26 for now.

cheers.

Most reactions

Back