35 f/2D vs 35 1.8G FX

I am a 1.4/35 Ai-S fanboy. It is small and light and still offers f/1.4. it is also a great lens, build without optical changes for more than 30 years. Mine was made in 2006!!!

I had the 2.0/35 AF for a short while. It it OK if you stop it down and apply a lot of sharpening in post. No lens for fine details though. It is rather small and unintrusive though. Did not like it. I bought the 1.4/24G as equivalent on a D7000 instead.

More reliable 35 Nikkor Info:

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

The AF-S 1.8/35G FX is light but it is also big. It offers a better geometrical correction than the AF-S 1.4/35G and is very well corrected when it comes to flare ghosting and the like. Very sharp over the whole frame. No magic in the rendering, more analytical.

Still after checking all the options on FX and DX, yea, also the AF-S 1.8/35G DX, I decided for the 1.4/35 Ai-S. I use it on the D500 and the D600 and love it on both for environmental portraits and unintrusive photography.

The lens is not a cheapie. I paid 450€ for a used one in very good condition. She is my love at 35.

View attachment 144116

Beside the 4.0/200 Ai-S-Micro and some 50mm on my FM2 it is the only non AF-S prime I own from 8mm to 300mm:

View attachment 144117

I think about getting the AF-S 1.8/35G FX some day. Till then the 1.4/24G on the D500 is a good option to cover that field of view.
I want that 35 1.4....

I thought about it too. A friend of mine just bought a brand new one for his timing camera and uses it time to time on his D7200. I love the way it renders the image and "bokeh" and it's of course a fraction of the 35 1.4G which is requires a loan from the mob. But I really having auto focus too. So I think the 35 1.8G is a good compromise.

I am a 1.4/35 Ai-S fanboy. It is small and light and still offers f/1.4. it is also a great lens, build without optical changes for more than 30 years. Mine was made in 2006!!!

I had the 2.0/35 AF for a short while. It it OK if you stop it down and apply a lot of sharpening in post. No lens for fine details though. It is rather small and unintrusive though. Did not like it. I bought the 1.4/24G as equivalent on a D7000 instead.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

The AF-S 1.8/35G FX is light but it is also big. It offers a better geometrical correction than the AF-S 1.4/35G and is very well corrected when it comes to flare ghosting and the like. Very sharp over the whole frame. No magic in the rendering, more analytical.

Still after checking all the options on FX and DX, yea, also the AF-S 1.8/35G DX, I decided for the 1.4/35 Ai-S. I use it on the D500 and the D600 and love it on both for environmental portraits and unintrusive photography.

The lens is not a cheapie. I paid 450€ for a used one in very good condition. She is my love at 35.

View attachment 144116

Beside the 4.0/200 Ai-S-Micro and some 50mm on my FM2 it is the only non AF-S prime I own from 8mm to 300mm:

View attachment 144117

I think about getting the AF-S 1.8/35G FX some day. Till then the 1.4/24G on the D500 is a good option to cover that field of view.
I want that 35 1.4....

I thought about it too. A friend of mine just bought a brand new one for his timing camera and uses it time to time on his D7200. I love the way it renders the image and "bokeh" and it's of course a fraction of the 35 1.4G which is requires a loan from the mob. But I really having auto focus too. So I think the 35 1.8G is a good compromise.
Shoot that baby at 5.6 and be prepared to leave it permanently on your camera. I seen images with this lens in person, amazing piece of glass. Guy had it on his F3, shooting street, HP5+. When he pulled that 8 x 10 out of the soup, I was stunned at the detail.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

View attachment 144116

View attachment 144117

Is that the new 8-15 in the top right corner?

Yes

Wow that is some distracting bokeh at f1.4!

Wow that is some distracting bokeh at f1.4!

This is a weird rendering if the light is right.
My bag is full of perfect optics. Sometimes I need to ride a wild beast....

Yea, in today's info age. You kinda expect status updates. Some sellers put that little disclaimer in their auctions shipping in 2-3 business days after payment or somewhat similar. So, there can always be a lag in shipping / info.

Yea, in today's info age. You kinda expect status updates. Some sellers put that little disclaimer in their auctions shipping in 2-3 business days after payment or somewhat similar. So, there can always be a lag in shipping / info.

Yeah he didn't have anything written. He was just a day late to shipping (not a big deal) and forget to attach the tracking number. He added it after I messaged him about it. I just hate ordering things without having a tracking number, especially when you have to sign for it. Gotta make sure I'm around or someone is to sign for it.

At the other end of the spectrum. My original Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF was purchased on ebay. Guy up in Toronto. This was about 17 years ago. And I was not going to send a couple thousand to a guy in Canada without some kind of guarantee. So I wanted to set up a escrow service to do the trade. The guy up in Canada didn't want to deal with the hassles of the escrow. So, he said he would just ship me the lens before payment. :aiwebs_016: I even messaged him back saying I would not do that for him. His reply said, you sound like an honest person. So, he shipped a $3,000 lens with no payment at all to me across a border no less. I of course looked it over real good. And decided it was a good lens (also checked the serial for stolen). So, 2 days later I fedex'd him a certified check.

At the other end of the spectrum. My original Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF was purchased on ebay. Guy up in Toronto. This was about 17 years ago. And I was not going to send a couple thousand to a guy in Canada without some kind of guarantee. So I wanted to set up a escrow service to do the trade. The guy up in Canada didn't want to deal with the hassles of the escrow. So, he said he would just ship me the lens before payment. :aiwebs_016: I even messaged him back saying I would not do that for him. His reply said, you sound like an honest person. So, he shipped a $3,000 lens with no payment at all to me across a border no less. I of course looked it over real good. And decided it was a good lens (also checked the serial for stolen). So, 2 days later I fedex'd him a certified check.

Wow, that would've got my heart pumping real quick haha.

I listed my Fuji X100 on eBay and someone contacted me about the camera and wanted to see if I would negotiate a lower price. But I wasn't having it because fees on eBay today are ridiculous so we decided to talk via email which is VERY difficult to do without being caught via eBay, their detection system is pretty advance because they don't want you do any business outside of eBay, not just for our own protection but to make them $$$ with their insane fees. So we ended up using code words to find his email address, it was like some spy crap haha. But I found his email and we talked about the camera for a while and other photography related things. We did the payment via PayPal and he paid me and I shipped. It was basically making a regular sale via PayPal so there was still some protection anyways. But everything worked out great and he got the price he wanted and I didn't have to pay the stupid insane fees. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and I won't do it again, but that was a few years ago. I certainly wasn't dealing with 3 grand, but like around $500. Still tho.

Most reactions

Back