35 or 50?

Skip the wide-angle for landscape convention, and move right into using a telephoto for landscapes, and selecting interesting things you can see by using a narrow-ish angle of view. For the beginning shooter, wide-angle landscapes often end up being dull, or listless, because "wide-angle" also means "tiny recordings of faraway stuff". I am being serious....if you're new to landscape photography, you will very likely make more-interesting and better photos by using a normal to telephoto lens length.

MANY landscape shooters find that a 70-200mm zoom is one of their most-used lenses.

Funny cause I went this morning to try some seascape photos and I found myself either moving closer or using the 55mm Focal length. I could maybe just try getting the other kit lens 55-200mm nikkor or maybe the 70-200 like you said. That would definitely run in my price range for a while too. I also figured out the need for a gradient ND filter as today I clearly could not get the ocean and sunrise just right.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

AFAIK Rowen Galen (famous landscape photographer) hat a 24mm f2.8 prime and a 75-150mm f3.5 zoom with him (he strongly believed in traveling light).

Derrel is right. Wide Angle shooting is much more difficult because you have so many elements in your composition. If decent teles were not soooo expensive I would recommend a 200mm or 300mm even.

But. A medium tele lens is more versatile.

As a beginner I shot a lot 50mm and 135mm on Film or as you say today FX. 50mm for general photography. 135mm for outdoor portaits and detail capture.

Think about a used 105 or 135 manual lens. Try one from a friend.

I've been looking for my first "prime" lens to compliment the 18-55 kit lens I have. My main aim is to do seascape and landscape but I've also read they have great Bokeh effect I want to practice as well. These are the only lens at the moment that are in my price range unless anyone can possibly mention something better.
So which ones a better all around better choice?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
"...to compliment...", should be, complement. Two different words, two different meanings, and two usages.

I have both 35 & 50mm lenses. Both are good but 35mm definitely wins on sharpness and I think is more usable in general.

Back in the 70's when I got my 1st SLR (Minolta SRT 201 35mm) it came with a 50mm normal lens. That is what I learned with and that is the perspective I am most comfortable with. So, with a crop frame camera like your D3300 and my D7000 I use a 35mm 1.8. I have a 16-85 3.5-5.6 vr which is a really great normal zoom but, I usually just use the 35mm and let my feet do the zooming.

If decent teles were not soooo expensive I would recommend a 200mm or 300mm even.
Um ... really ? My AI 300mm f4.5 cost a friggin 180€ and it was actually expensive at this price (It was a poor student I bought it from, so thats why I was OK with the price). Optically ? Possibly my best lens. Either way its just pure bliss.

Late to the party. Have you considered making panorama landscapes? I've made a few using the 50mm, both with and without a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back