35mm 1.8

Normally I recommend online (Amazon, BH) over Best Buy. Normally they are cheaper. However, this lens is only a couple dollars difference.

I just got one for Father's Day, I'm anxious to use it real world (used it for some "test" shots that are not uploaded right now). I'll probably shoot with it exclusively on the camera for a couple outings to get a feel for it's characteristics.

First impressions:
  • For it's focal length the bokeh looked nice to me, smooth, not distracting.
  • Accurate focusing.
  • It needs to be stopped down a couple stops for edge to edge sharpness, but center seems pretty good (which is what is most important to me anyway if I am using a large aperture).
  • The contrast is not as good wide open, but nothing that can't be handled in post, and that is not a complaint, but an observation. Not sure at what point it improves exaclty (like I said limited testing and trying), it was probably a stop or two.
  • It's AF-S motor is accurate. I wouldn't say it's "Fast". In my limited testing it seems similar to my 50mm 1.4 AF-D, maybe slightly faster, but I would need to test more thoroughly. Not an issue for me, it seemed fine.
  • It focuses just under a foot, even less from the end of your lens as I think that is measured from the image plane if I recall correctly, so that may be handy at some point.
So far, I think I'm going to like it. I have a great copy of a Tamron 17-50, so I am hoping I like it 1.8-2.8 since above that I suspect (and from what I have heard) the Tamron and the 35 are fairly close (for all practical purposes). But, I look forward to seeing for myself.

4720788940_966837be02_b.jpg

4720139985_f303370f35_b.jpg

These two photos are examples of why it's suggested that you use a longer focal length (85mm +) when taking head-shots. Notice the distortion caused by the lens being too close to the subject? it's very evident in the first photo where the ears are barely visible. The 2nd shot is better, but still not as flattering as it could be if taken further away from the subject.

what if her ears are just like that? lol

LOL! I'm sayin....

7024_177052039663_621169663_3840404_2695315_n.jpg

This was taken with my 50mm though, but the ears still apply lol. I guess my amateur eyes just can't seem to spot the distortion in the other pic as mentioned. Perhaps with time I'll learn to recognize that. I love that pic I took of my friend though. It actually was the photo that received the most compliments and comments when I posted my album. Then again, none of them have a professional eye either ;)

I guess it's true when they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll take those points into consideration the next time I take close ups. The 85mm is actually one of the lenses I'm looking to get next.

I mentioned earlier I just got this lens, so no serious shots yet. Here's a couple samples. From my experience so far, I'm looking forward to using this for "real" shooting situations.

1/320 @ f/1.8, ISO 400, This was at roughly the minimum focusing distance

p485918274-4.jpg

100% Crop of above

p405906663-4.jpg

1/100 @ f/1.8, ISO 800

p381442511-4.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back