35mm f2 best choice for now?

i STILL think you should spend the extra 400 dollars to buy the 24-105 L lens Kit that comes with the 6D...

You might look at the Sigma 35mm f/1.4. Yes, it's third party, but according to various reviews, it's tack sharp and the build quality is good. And it's cheaper than Canon or Nikon's offering as well.

Problem with 50mm is that I find it a bit narrow when I shoot. I always want just a bit more in the frame when shoot with 50mm. I would explain more but I have to go. Thanks everyone!
50 is a lot wider than you think on a 6D
I understand that, the width is wider and height is higher but I found I like 40mm w/h ratio better. I hope I explained, it's just a personal preference when shooting environmental portraits.

The 35mm f2 is a nice Lens. Pick one up secondhand and try it. If you don't like it you could sell it for almost zero loss. Value wise it is good bang for your buck

It is not easy for me to buy something and then resell. I bought my current camera in Japan, lens in USA and they'll go again in USA to be sold, I hope. That's a whole process when I'm buying photography stuff and it takes more time then you can think of. Everything I bought wasn't bought in my country, price difference is huge. And also if I want to buy a 6D in my country, it would be almost double amount of money compared to usa. Well, just to know that there is much more in my calculation what to buy then it seems to be

i STILL think you should spend the extra 400 dollars to buy the 24-105 L lens Kit that comes with the 6D...
budget. And I did hear some good stuff about this lens but in this point I just don't want a zoom lens. It's a great walk around lens but 40mm is also versatile.

You might look at the Sigma 35mm f/1.4. Yes, it's third party, but according to various reviews, it's tack sharp and the build quality is good. And it's cheaper than Canon or Nikon's offering as well.
Way over my budget now! :)

Here's some explanation why I choose that 40/2.8.
I don't know how but I simply overlooked it when I was searching...
It's an inexpensive lens with good quality for that money. I haven't read anything bad about this lens.
It's wide enough for occasional landscapes/panorama I'm going to be shooting for a website.
Wide enough for environmental portraits that I shoot.
It's light, small, and great walk around lens.
No pronounced distortion, sharp even at 2.8, vignetting is there but ok

If I didn't have a budget I would go with 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and those lenses pretty much cover my wants and needs. But I can't afford them right now.

Last edited:
6d and 40/2.8 has been bought :)

Now I just have to wait.....

Thank you guys!

Last edited:
I was going to say, even if you bought the kit, held off on getting the 40 2.8, and RESOLD the 24-105 you would make more then the difference between the kit and the body, since its only a 400 dollar price difference, and that lens sells for 700-800 used... oh well though. math.

I was going to say, even if you bought the kit, held off on getting the 40 2.8, and RESOLD the 24-105 you would make more then the difference between the kit and the body, since its only a 400 dollar price difference, and that lens sells for 700-800 used... oh well though. math.
:)

I explained that it's not that easy for me to buy/sell/resell. And also I really, really don't want a zoom now, especially the one you mentioned. I'm tired of zooms. I have 12-60mm Zuiko digital, (that's equivalent to 24-120mm) and it's a great lens... but I want a prime for now. Maybe I'll feel different in a few years, but doubt it...we'll see...

I knew what I wanted from a lens, for now, but I couldn't decide myself between 50 and 35 because either one of them wasn't exactly what I need. Somehow I overlooked that pancake lens and when I found it i decided almost immediately.

The camera is bought as body only. I'll get it, and the lens in maybe 20 days to a month time. All reviews of this lens are good and it is inexpensive. I'll survive until my next purchase. :)

I am a late entente .. though I am using Canon 40 mm F/2.8 STM lens( I hope we are discussing on the same lens) since couple of months with my Canon 600 D body .. Mostly I use it in street photography.
what I basically I like in this lens is "Pancake size" easy to move around.. Image quality is sharp and contrasty as per my taste..angle of view just fits to my perception.
Possible problem, if I do really care - A) at 2.8 , it vignette. B) manual focusing needs some practicing , it move slightly behind ,that is what my feeling are. ( though auto focusing is not an issue out here. C) When I end the session , to retract the front barrel of the lens , I need to focus at infinity at once in auto focusing mode ( as they are locked) D) though I do observe some distortion while taking some parallel horizontal lines at a very close range but they are negligible compare to my 35 mm lens( I sold it off) . F) in a close space , I can't use it much .. due to my crop frame .. Hope if this may help you to decide..
BTW I am going to Calcutta ( now known as Kolkatta) in India for a short visit.. I have packed same lens with me .Hope to get few good shot

I am a late entente .. though I am using Canon 40 mm F/2.8 STM lens( I hope we are discussing on the same lens) since couple of months with my Canon 600 D body .. Mostly I use it in street photography.
what I basically I like in this lens is "Pancake size" easy to move around.. Image quality is sharp and contrasty as per my taste..angle of view just fits to my perception.
Possible problem, if I do really care - A) at 2.8 , it vignette. B) manual focusing needs some practicing , it move slightly behind ,that is what my feeling are. ( though auto focusing is not an issue out here. C) When I end the session , to retract the front barrel of the lens , I need to focus at infinity at once in auto focusing mode ( as they are locked) D) though I do observe some distortion while taking some parallel horizontal lines at a very close range but they are negligible compare to my 35 mm lens( I sold it off) . F) in a close space , I can't use it much .. due to my crop frame .. Hope if this may help you to decide..
BTW I am going to Calcutta ( now known as Kolkatta) in India for a short visit.. I have packed same lens with me .Hope to get few good shot
Yeah, that's the same lens we're talking about!
Thanks! You've just confirmed my decision :)

Im not saying theres anything wrong with the 40mm, I have one, and love it, in fact, I use the 40mm, with a 6d, heres a pic of me using that set up, shooting a concert recently.

$me.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back