35mm Film in a Medium Format Camera

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was trudging through Thingiverse, like I do, and ran across this little gem that allows for 35mm film to be used instead of 120mm.

35mm Film on 120 Spool by coconnor55 - Thingiverse

In the description it states that it exposes the entire frame, sproket holes and all which while not the first time it's ever been done, seems pretty cool.

That said, if anyone wants to give this a try and actively shoots 120mm, let me know and I will print out this conversion device and drop it in the mail to you. All I ask in return is that you share the results with the forum.

Send me a PM with your interest, but since I'm taking care of the shipping, let's please limit this to the continental US, and only the first couple people will get one. (assuming there is ANY interest at all)

Thanks!

This is so awesome! I remember doing this when I was in photo class in school and I loved it. Will you be making it with a 3d printer?

I'd like to fiddle with one, but I don't have a 120-format camera.

Yet.

I'm contemplating jumping into 6x7.

I sent you a PM...errrm...I mean a "conversation" regarding this. Am I correct in assuming you have access to one of those nifty 3-D printers?

This is so awesome! I remember doing this when I was in photo class in school and I loved it. Will you be making it with a 3d printer?

I sent you a PM...errrm...I mean a "conversation" regarding this. Am I correct in assuming you have access to one of those nifty 3-D printers?

Yep. I've nerded around with my 3d printer enough to think that as long as it's a solid design I can print it pretty easily.

There are a couple issues with things on Thingiverse... I can't attest to the accuracy of the measurements, and sometimes things just can't be printed on certain printers for a number of reasons. That said this looks like a pretty straightforward print.

As far as "having access to a 3D printer", I used to think that they were really expensive and out of reach, but I got mine last year for $350. Sure, I had to build it, and calibrate it, and program it, and tinker with it, and swear a whole bunch... but after a couple months of learning curve It has been a great source of entertainment.

Wow--I had NO IDEA that there were even such things as DIY 3-D printers...no idea at all! This particular set of spacers looks like a fairly straightforward design...looking at each piece I think, "Yup, that would go there, " and "Yeah, that makes total sense!" Of course, the measurements are another matter, but as I indicated in my PM, the tolerances are probably not "that critical", since the 35mm film will self-center itself "wherever it happens to land" in the film gate area.

Of course, the measurements are another matter, but as I indicated in my PM, the tolerances are probably not "that critical", since the 35mm film will self-center itself "wherever it happens to land" in the film gate area.

It's the male ends of the adapter that fit into the roll of film I'm worried about, not where the film rides in the frame... That said, I will see if I can dig up a roll of 35mm film and test fit... might be tough since I haven't shot a roll of film in 10 years, but I may have something laying about the house. :)

Wow--I had NO IDEA that there were even such things as DIY 3-D printers...no idea at all!

Simple Makers Kit (4x4x4) | Printrbot

It's a lot of fun. And infuriating. And fun.

Best part, you can upgrade the printer with parts you print yourself, and eventually you can print other printers. (minus the brains and stepper motors of course.)

IT'S THE FUTURE!!!

Or, well, the present... I guess.

What the heck!!!!!! I had NO IDEA!!! Wow...doggone it, now I am thinking about buying one ofd these things!

What the heck!!!!!! I had NO IDEA!!! Wow...doggone it, now I am thinking about buying one ofd these things!

Let me know if you do... I can help with the learning curve.

Well, here is the finished product. It printed without any issues, and as long as the dimensions are right, I don't see any issue with it working. Darrel, I may get this in the mail tomorrow, if not it will be in the next couple days for sure.

20141120_194104_zpsf13e4d95.jpg

Also, for those who are interested in what a 3D printer looks like, here is an overhead view my setup. (sorry for the mess and the crappy cell phone pics) It's much less refined and smaller than the $3k+ consumer grade printers, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

20141120_185419_zpsa8039740.jpg

Sweet deal! I've run 35mm in my old Hasselblad before. It's a challenge to compose and hard to remember NOT to redscale the film (derp), but it gives some fun results. Make sure you have a dark bag to unload or load though.

I am stoked!!!!!! Thanks for the shot of the 3-D setup you have...I literally had NO IDEA these things had been commoditized and were now within the reach of mere mortals! I mean, the last I heard, which was an episode of The Big Bang Theory, Howard and Rajesh bought a 3-D printer--for $5,000!!!

Most reactions

Back