35mm Film Scanner

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by probe1957, Dec 2, 2004.

1. probe1957

probe1957 TPF Noob!

Hi all,

Am a newby here and can't seem to find the answer to my question. Please forgive me if it has been asked before and I am just too boneheaded to find the thread.

I am looking to buy a 35mm film scanner. Have about half settled on the Minolta Scan Dual IV, but I have a question first. What the heck is DPI and what practical effect would it have for me? I mean, $260 for this one at 3200 dpi vs about $1000 for a Canon at 4000 dpi.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are a few threads that deal with negative scanners in this forum...

But the extra 800 dpi is definately not worth an extra $700. The dynamic range on the minolta is as high as scanners get and 3200 dpi is more than enough resolution to make large prints.

3. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You might also consider the Nikon Coolscan V ED. I believe it runs about $500 and is a 4000 dpi (dots per inch) scanner. Very easy to install and use and the software is excellent.

4. probe1957

probe1957 TPF Noob!

I really appreciate the responses. The Canon I was considering is the FS4000 but really not interested in spending more money if the difference is miniscule.

Again, thanks for your time.