35mm frames/photos?

I don't doubt the testimony of the experienced projectionists here. My relevant experience is working in Hollywood film editing rooms (as a PA "gopher") and the stuff looks like "cutting room floor" snips to me. I've been ankle deep in it. But, it makes little difference. It's cut pieces of movie film either way. And, since it was found a long way from Hollywood it probably is projection snips making Derrel the winner. :)

And, that looks like Mary Pickford to me too.

Last edited:
I don't doubt the testimony of the experienced projectionists here. My relevant experience is working in Hollywood film editing rooms (as a PA "gopher") and the stuff looks like "cutting room floor" snips to me. I've been ankle deep in it. But, it makes little difference. It's cut pieces of movie film either way. And, since it was found a long way from Hollywood it probably is projection snips making Derrel the winner. :)

And, that looks like Mary Pickford to me too.

Cool you worked so close to what this might be. So "the cutting room floor" can be of many one singel perfect frames? Not being mean or discredit you, just fell this are to lovely looking to be scraps. And I know sometimes good stuff need to be cut away too. **** I do wonder what this is soo bad. I been going over them a bit more and more and guys.... it is like more 100 frames here...

I was looking around online at Mary Pickford for some photo off her whit that hat and dress, but did not found any yet, still can be her.

Here is another photo of a frame I toke with my camera in raw and edit some and it did turn out kind of ok I think. This frame was a bit rolled up, so that is why the top and edges is a bit distorted.

001.jpg

Cool you worked so close to what this might be. So "the cutting room floor" can be of many one singel perfect frames?

Sure. Most of what is shot on a typical feature film ends up either on that floor or never processed in the first place. Anything from one frame to entire camera reels. What you see in the theater is a fraction of what was filmed. Each shot is typically filmed multiple times -- sometimes dozens of times -- and only one "take" (or none of them) ends up in the finished film. Entire scenes comprised of many different shots also get the big snip. That is what is called the "shooting ratio" -- how much was shot vs how much was kept in the finished film. Typical Hollywood shooting ratios are in the 6:1 to 10:1 range for film but can be higher or lower.

I also worked for many years as a Hollywood extra and much of my work ended up on that floor, I can tell you. But, that's show biz. :)

PS - In case you were wondering -- No, I didn't work with Mary Pickford. (I'm not that old.) But, I did work at her old studio.

Last edited:
Oh yee I do know that xD I just ment that do they cut away just one frame. Whuld it not be more frames cut away. I just had my thoughts. I do get it. And yee I have been working a bit as an extra too and I do movies myself too. VERY low budget movies though. xD Just having fun. Going to record a short film this weekend, I am an actor in this project, low budget, going to be some kind of terminator fellow. See how that goes.

xD I did not think you worked with her, though that would have been nice.

I will update some more on monday if anyone wanna see some more frames. Happy weekend all, no need to say it back, just take care out there :p

That definitely looks like Mary Pickford.

One thing is they are indeed cool! A couple look like they are from a fairly recent movie called "Iron Sky". BUT, it is also possible the director for that motion picture saw the original movie these were from and was inspired! A couple look a little too "worked" to look old but may be legit as well. All in all, they do indeed look like 35mm motion picture film. I have been shooting and editing 8mm, 16mm, super 16mm and a few different formats of 35mm motion picture film since the early 1980s. While I no longer shoot motion picture film I do have a working idea of it's look. And these do look like singlet frames from 35mm film. I am super interested in finding out what YOU find out!

About thirty years ago when shooting home movies on film by consumers was completely dead, I picked up a bunch of cameras cheap from a photo store in Monterey Cali where I lived. One camera had an exposed 100ft reel in it. I always wanted to have it processed because it had an inscription on the outside of the box that read, Germany WWII, war footage.

A couple look like they are from a fairly recent movie called "Iron Sky". BUT, it is also possible the director for that motion picture saw the original movie these were from and was inspired! A couple look a little too "worked" to look old but may be legit as well. out!

I always wanted to have it processed because it had an inscription on the outside of the box that read, Germany WWII, war footage.

What? Iron Sky is very new. This are like from around 1920 something. they all are legit. What are you talking about. I told you I scanned in my home scanner, sadly it is not good, then I toke a photo there in RAW format and edit in photo shop, still real though.

I do also have a 8mm movie that I got some a fle market that is undeveloped and it say on it 1/2 developed. So I wonder what that can be. Just something home made I guess.

Then for you all. I did write some in this forum also - NitrateVille.com • View topic - What is the frame?
One user there told me this:
"...
this was common practice with movie films. After their run in theaters they would
be spliced down and sold on the secondary market for toy projectors and viewers like yours. Some very interesting footage has turned up this way in the past. I hope someone can chime in and maybe identify the actors with in your film."

That sounds very likely. And I looked into it more now there are around 170 frames here. So many.
and might be from around 6-7 movies. Some frames I see are from the same movie.

Most reactions

Back