35mm L

Sarah Elizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 30 D. I want a 35 mm prime. Is that the same as a 50 mm 1.4???

I don't think it is the same.
Maybe I am wrong? yeah?
:lol:

No they are not the same. A 35mm is wider tha a 50mm, whatever the camera you use them on. On a 30D the 35mm will give a similar field of view compared to a 50mm on a film SLR (or full frame DSLR). On your 30D, the 35mm can be considered as a standard lens, whereas the 50mm is a short telephoto lens.

And I think the 35mm is a little bit slower.

There's the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L which I think is over $1000, and then there's the EF 35mm f/2 which is about $200 IIRC. Or if you really want the speed but don't want to pay $1000, there's the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which is $400-500 I think.

I "think" I really want the 35mm 1.4 and I am prepared to spend.

I am using this for portraits and weddings. Good choice ?

Most people prefer a 50mm on a crop body for portraits, The 50mm 1.4, is about $300-350 and is a great lens, there is also a 50mm 1.2L for about $1300. I have the 1.4 and love the quality, but I have never used or even seen a 1.2, so It would be interesting to see if it can justify its price tag.

Have a search for member "elsapet" threads. She uses 35mm f/1.4 for her weddings. I do believe it is manual focus though (Nikkor version). I have the f/2 (Nikkor) and love it.

I found the 50 to be too wide on the crop bodies for my taste. Saving up for the 35 f/1.4L. Tested the 50 f/1.2L pretty sweet, but still too narrow. The 35mm f/1.4L is perfect. Turns into a 56mm with thee 1.6 crop anyway. Absolutely gorgeous lens. Woulda' bought it already, but had an offer for the 400 f/2.8L that I could not refuse. The Sigma ones has so-so reviews, but is nowhere near the class of the Canon model in any category. Corner resolution and bokeh are not it's strong points. Hence the massive price difference.​

Have a search for member "elsapet" threads. She uses 35mm f/1.4 for her weddings. I do believe it is manual focus though (Nikkor version). I have the f/2 (Nikkor) and love it.
Ahh yes .. She inspired me .:)

Well I am pretty set on it so thank you all for the advice. :hail:

50mm f/1.8 costs 90 bucks and its a great lens for the money.

Yes very good for the money, But I would not want to rely on it in a professional situation. Its just a little to clunky and plasticy for my piece of mind.

Yes I have this lens and I like it but not enough to charge people for its results. :) IMO..

Yes very good for the money, But I would not want to rely on it in a professional situation. Its just a little to clunky and plasticy for my piece of mind.

Oh yeah? Is it good enough for the other pieces of your mind? :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back