35mm lens vs 50mm lens and more?

skeletonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Pardon me for some stopid questions here. Kinda new to photography....
and have been figuring out the differences of 35mm lens 50mm lens.

I have read on the internet but it does not give much info on what are the main differences between this two?

I know that 50mm zooms more than 35mm...well thats obvious lol..
Anyway...I need some expert advices from the gurus here.

Thanks for your input.

I know that 50mm zooms more than 35mm...well thats obvious lol..

None of the two lenses zooms at all. They are both prime lenses with a fixed focal length of 50 and 35mm respectively.

The 50mm lens gives you a narrower angle of view and the 35mm lens a wider angle of view. Hence, to get the same object at the same size in your image, you have to move closer to it when using the 35mm lens. And this again changes the perspective.

None of the two lenses zooms at all. They are both prime lenses with a fixed focal length of 50 and 35mm respectively.
]
LOL....how silly can I be? :lol:

so the difference is just the focal length....

Thanks!

so the difference is just the focal length
Yes, that's basically it.

Although, not all lenses are created equally. For example, the Canon 50m F1.8 is the least expensive Canon EF lens...less that $100. It's got a lot of plastic in the construction, the glass is pretty good but not outstanding. Canon also makes a 50mm F1.4, which is about four times more expensive, but it's construction is much better and the image quality is a bit better. There is also a 50mm F1.2 L, which is in the $1000 neighborhood :shock:.

Same thing with 35mm lenses, there is a cheap one and a $1000 model.

People you use (and can afford) those top quality lenses...will swear by them, and they are fantastic. The cheaper ones are not really all that bad, just not as good....probably good enough for most people.

Yes, that's basically it.

Although, not all lenses are created equally. For example, the Canon 50m F1.8 is the least expensive Canon EF lens...less that $100. It's got a lot of plastic in the construction, the glass is pretty good but not outstanding. Canon also makes a 50mm F1.4, which is about four times more expensive, but it's construction is much better and the image quality is a bit better. There is also a 50mm F1.2 L, which is in the $1000 neighborhood :shock:.

Same thing with 35mm lenses, there is a cheap one and a $1000 model.

People you use (and can afford) those top quality lenses...will swear by them, and they are fantastic. The cheaper ones are not really all that bad, just not as good....probably good enough for most people.

Thanks for the reply....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back