35mm lens

those lenses, 28 and 35, can be used both on DX and FX?

Yes. Either can be used on both DX and FX. If you get the DX version of the 35mm 1.8G (the cheaper one that is around $200), it will not work on FX as well as the 35mm 1.8G FX version (it's not made for FX).

Got it! Thanks for clarifying. Another question that I hope you don't mind answering for me...was looking at options of lenses. Could you explain to me what G, D, ED, and IF-ED mean?

Yes. Either can be used on both DX and FX. If you get the DX version of the 35mm 1.8G (the cheaper one that is around $200), it will not work on FX as well as the 35mm 1.8G FX version (it's not made for FX).

Got it! Thanks for clarifying. Another question that I hope you don't mind answering for me...was looking at options of lenses. Could you explain to me what G, D, ED, and IF-ED mean?

Someone else will be able to give you a much more accurate description of what each of those things mean.

What those things mean to me is this: A lens with a "D" (ex. the 50mm 1.8D) is older. The 50mm 1.8D doesn't have its own focusing motor, so the camera has to have a focusing motor built in. A lens with a "G" is newer. Usually "G" lenses are sharper, and all G lenses have internal focusing (they have their own focus motor built in).

"ED" refers to extra-low dispersion. In other words, newer tech, better glass.

"IF-ED" is the "ED", plus "internal focusing".

I had the 35 f/2D and I absolutely love that lens, I really miss it. It was lightweight, compact and made in Japan. Also has beautiful bokeh. Noisy? Sure...but it focused super fast on my D610. You can pick them up used around $250-300.

Someone else will be able to give you a much more accurate description of what each of those things mean.

What those things mean to me is this: A lens with a "D" (ex. the 50mm 1.8D) is older. The 50mm 1.8D doesn't have its own focusing motor, so the camera has to have a focusing motor built in. A lens with a "G" is newer. Usually "G" lenses are sharper, and all G lenses have internal focusing (they have their own focus motor built in).

"ED" refers to extra-low dispersion. In other words, newer tech, better glass.

"IF-ED" is the "ED", plus "internal focusing".

Thank u for taking the time and explaining everything to me...I really appreciate your help!

I had the 35 f/2D and I absolutely love that lens, I really miss it. It was lightweight, compact and made in Japan. Also has beautiful bokeh. Noisy? Sure...but it focused super fast on my D610. You can pick them up used around $250-300.

Thank u! Will look into that lens as well :)

I suggest you buy a dx 35mm at a low price and a 50mm f1.8. Both these will serve you purpose on your d90. Later if you buy a full frame, sell the 35 at a very small loss, the 50 will still work. It's better to buy lenses that suit your current system and get the most out of it.

Many people don't need full frame systems when they have correctly chosen crop sensor lenses. Ymmv

I had the 35mm 1.4 previously and it was one of the best lenses I ever used! It's no good for portraits as others have mentioned, but it is great for landscapes and street photography, and a general carry around lens if you have the muscles for it.

Sounds like a 24-70 2.8 or 4) may be good for you

Most reactions

Back