35mm or 50mm?

x400d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy either the 35mm or 50 mm nikon lens and im stuck between a rock and a hard place as ro which one to go for. Im edging slightly more towards the 35mm more then the 50mm but i am just posting this thread to see why i should have one over the other. Can you give me any advice? Thanks

Are you on a crop or full sized sensor?

On a crop sensor, go for the 35mm. This will be equivalent to a 44mm which is pretty close to "normal". On a crop sensor, the 50mm will be the equivalent of an ~80mm lens which is telephoto. The 35mm will be useful as an all-around lens while the 50mm would not be useful in tight situations (indoors, restaurant, parties, etc.).

If on a full sensor, the 50mm would be a normal lens and the 35mm would be a wide angle lens. The 35mm would be best for scenery and getting a shot of a large group of people while the 50mm could be used for just about anything (hence its nickname "nifty fifty").

Last edited:
Actually I think the 35mm cropped is equiv. to almost 53mm on a FX. I picked up the 35mm last week and am pleased with it. I can't compare to the 50mm because I have shot with that lens.

This question has been hacked around lately. Try using the search function.

Nikon
35 x 1.5 = 52.5 FoV (field of view.... NOT focal length)
50 x 1.5 = 75 FoV

Canon
35 x 1.6 = 56 FoV
50 x 1.6 = 80 FoV

On a cropped sensor I would go for the 35... I had the Nifty Fifty f/1.8 on my XTI and used it mainly for portrait work, the 35mm would be much more usable... Just a thought. I have the 50mm 1.4 USM on my 5d MKII and it's like butter on that sensors, love it...

ALIAS

go with the 35mm....you'll use it more for everyday use.

Yes, for some reason we had few of the 50mm vs 35mm lens thread lately.

Same answer. If you have a kit lens that shipped with your camera, you can set the focal length of the lens to 35mm and see what it is like in terms of Field of View. Do the same with the 50mm. After that, find out which focal length you think you will use the most.

Person A like 50mm, but it doesn't mean Person B like it because person B may use the lens for a lot of in door tight space shots and find it not wide enough.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry if its been up already but i havent been on the website in ages and i was busy so just slapped it up quickly and left it. The camera is a nikon d80 so i believe it has a crop sensor if memory serves me right.
Im looking for more of a portrait and scenery quality between the two so whichever seems best in your opinion it would be great to hear.
Thanks

If you have a kit lens that shipped with your camera, you can set the focal length of the lens to 35mm and see what it is like in terms of Field of View. Do the same with the 50mm. After that, find out which focal length you think you will use the most.

:thumbup::thumbup:

If you have a kit lens that shipped with your camera, you can set the focal length of the lens to 35mm and see what it is like in terms of Field of View. Do the same with the 50mm. After that, find out which focal length you think you will use the most.

:thumbup::thumbup:

That's exactly what I'm going to do when I'm ready to cough up some $$$.

What type of shooting do you predominantly do? Are you looking to get the fastest glass you can get? That would make a big difference in what people recommend. I have a Canon 50 f1.4 and REALLY like it. I mainly only use it when shooting portraits though. I also just picked up a Tokina 16-50mm F/2.8 which I also really like. If you can live with an f/2.8 then you don't have to choose one or the other, you can have the best of both worlds.

Most reactions

Back