35mm SLR...WHATS THE BEST?!

AllyKat22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking into getting a new film camera since the one i am using is like 30 years old and handed down .. What is the best 35mm SLR out there?

Thirty year old SLR's are the best. What do you have?

Wile it may be time to retire what you currently have, don't rule out the old workhorses.

i have a Canon AE-1 program... its starting to just wear down.. im in need of an upgrade!!

Well, the question you are asking is difficult to answer since it can be different cameras to different people. Its very preferencial.

For people who shoot Nikon, some would say the Nikon F6, a top of the line professional camera. But that camera will set you back a lot.

I dont know what Canon's top of the line model is, but people who shoot Canon would argue its theirs.

Those are but two of the companies who make 35mm SLR's out there. But since digital is becoming more and more popular, there are great deals out there on 35mm cameras and kits.

I would suggest buying a camera that has the options and things you are looking for in a camera, and what suits the needs of what you shoot.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the one you have as you have a great camera. Nikon would be the 'best'. I love the Minolta sr-T101 (older) because, well, it's the one I have but it is a great camera. I second Battou. If you must get something newer, get one that has the same bayonet mount as your AE and keep it around for the just in cases. Good luck.

A Nikon F5 or a Canon 1v are probably two of the best 35mm cameras if you want fast autofocus and high frame rate and a lot of other features. Alternatively a Leica R8/R9 offers the possibility to use very good lenses from Leica. What's your budget? What do you want to use the camera for?

If you can find one, The Canon EF.

It uses the same FD mount lenses you alredy have.

When you say "Canon EF" do you mean the EF/EOS mount cameras???? or is there a camera body I don't know about?

Canon EOS cameras which have an "EF" mount are ~not~ compatible with the FD lenses. There was an Canon adapter only sold to professionals but it is extremely rare and VERY expensive. It is considered a high valued item for Canon collectors. It wasn't all that great... but it allowed professionals back then "transition" from FD lenses to EF lenses.

Also... FD mount is FD mount... there where two types (breech and bayonet) but both are considered FD mount. The newer version of the FD mount was changed to "more bayonet" styled for quicker lens changes. AFAIK, all FD mount cameras will accept either version of the FD mount.

If you stick with FD lenses (optically good... easy to find), the best camera in my opinion is the last of the Canon F-1. They will cost yah. Next in line is the A-1 (which I have and like and can be found for a reasonable price) although I find the F-1 to handle better.

If you go with EF/EOS cameras, by far go with the Canon 1vHS (which I have as well). Absolutely a blast of a camera to own. Again.. it will cost yah.

As much as I like Leica, I can't recommend the R8 or R9. The handling just didn't feel right in my smallish hands. I will admit though... I don't have much experience with the R8 or R9. I do like the earlier R4s and R5 bodies that also use the R line of lenses (excellent!) Anything with the Leica name is especially hard on the bank account. For a rangefinder, nothing beats the feel of a Leica M... but this is about SLRs.

You did say the "best" with no budget specified so most of the cameras I've listed will cost some cash. For a lower budget, I absolutely love the handling of the Elan II for EF mount. The size and the dual dial layout is wonderful. The Elan II also has a built in red light AF assist light which is missing in later ELAN bodies (BOOO to Canon). For lower budget FD mount, stick with your AE-1 which was a very very popular camera in its time for good reason.

As already mentioned, it depends on exactly what you want. Here's a list of some of the 35 mm SLR cameras that I consider to be among the best of those I have used, each there for different reasons:

Leica Leicaflex SL2 MOT without the motor
Leica R6.2 (if I had only one SLR, it would be an R6.2)
Leica R9
Nikon F2AS
Nikon F5
Nikon FM3A
Rollei 3003 (and another conventional one whose name I have forgotten)
Canon F-1N
Canon T90

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back