35mm versus 50mm f/1.8 for D90?

setao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey! Hopefully a quick question for y'all - what's the difference (for a D90) and overall difference that I'll see between th two?

I do a little if everything for photography and can't really decide and due to redtocking fees, don't want to purchase both :) anyone else hadna similar experience with them?

Thanks!

35mm = is about a 53mm at a 1.5 crop
50mm = is about 75mm at a 1.5 crop

both give great IQ from the reviews ive read, personally i have the 50mm and its a charm. depending on the kind of photography you want to do, it really depends which you need, that being said, what are you looking to use it for?

I have both.

The 35mm is a better match for a crop frame and performs much better wide open. The 50mm makes a nice short, fast telephoto but has noticeable softness when used wider f/2.5.

If you can only get one, get the 35mm. If you can get both, you'll happy you did; and they're both cheap enough lenses that it makes sense to have both, even if they are only EFL 22.5mm apart.

I did ask the same question before I purchased a prime for my Canon 500D.
I ended up getting the 50mm one because I knew I was going to upgrade to a full-frame sometime in the future.
I love the 50mm prime (I got 500 f/1.4). I love the bokeh and low light performance but I found it a bit too long for a cropped body. Mine is 1.6x and yours is 1.5x.

If you will be using this for heahshots and portraits, no poblem you can get 50mm. But if you plan on using this for group shots, you may be disappointed with the norrow FOV.

If you have the chance I would suggest you put both of them on your camera and see. Or if you have a simple kit zoom lense. Set it to 35mm and 50mm and see if you are going to be satisfied with the FOV (field of view).

Last edited:
mm are mm. Grab your kit lens and set it to 35mm and run around to see if you like it. Then set it to 50mm and see if you like that. Then buy based on your experience of which focal length is more useful for us.

+1

mm are mm. Grab your kit lens and set it to 35mm and run around to see if you like it. Then set it to 50mm and see if you like that. Then buy based on your experience of which focal length is more useful for us.

+1 that's what I did.

I have a 35mm prime on the way with my D90, as well as a 18-55mm, I'll probably get the 50mm prime later (probably real soon) just cause I got a really good deal and want to know if it's worth going for a real wide angle lens later.

I'd say that they are cheap enough hat it's worth owning both and not having the zooms for the better quality pictures, but this is just from the hearsay online, using them yourself will give you the real answers

Keep in mind that the dof a 35mm f1.8 is nearly twice as wide as a 50mm f1.8.

Which means if you like that blurry background look, your better off with the 50mm.

I see a lot of misinformation about the 35mm f1.8 on a crop sensor body being like a 50mm f1.8 on a full frame body. A better comparison would be to a 50mm f2.8.

i sold my 35 to buy a 50.

I see a lot of misinformation about the 35mm f1.8 on a crop sensor body being like a 50mm f1.8 on a full frame body. A better comparison would be to a 50mm f2.8.
Indeed. This is a good thing to keep in mind, but there is still something special about having a wider angle of view with a still-shallow depth of field:

dont have a nikon, but I was using a canon 50 1.8 and just switched to using a sigma 30 1.4 because I couldnt stand the 50mm crop framing... to me it was pretty useless for candid indoor photos, which is what I want to use it for.

Indeed. This is a good thing to keep in mind, but there is still something special about having a wider angle of view with a still-shallow depth of field:

Very good shot :thumbup:

i sold my 35 to buy a 50.

Interesting. Most people do the opposite based on what I have seen.

The 35mm 1.8 is sharper than the 50mm 1.8. If sharpness and DOF are your concerns, then skip both and get the 50mm 1.4.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back