35mm vs 50mm Primes

If the 50 is too wide and too narrow at the same time, sounds like a zoom is in your future. And then maybe a move to Argentina.

I do have a 24-70 f/2.8

So why would you need a 35mm?

Sorry if I missed it, are you on a crop body? If you are, maybe you should look at a 17-50mm type of zoom?

Because the 24-70 is bloody heavy and only 2.8
Why would I put that on a crop body?
I'm musing between the sigma art and Nikon 35mm f/1.4
Also pondering the 35mm 1.8 FX

Yes you are right a 24-70 isn't great on a crop body.

I guess it all boils down to what kind of photography you do. If you really need the extra stop of the 35 prime, then I guess that's the answer to your question.

If you are looking to lose some weight, I understand that. I was in that exact same situation and purchased a m4/3 system including a 8mm, 14mm, 25mm and 45-100 zoom. I can carry all that stuff in a bag that would barely fit my 6D body alone. Have you considered a mirrorless kit?
Professionally, I do headshots and some product photography (hence the two 105mm lenses)
I am also an avid dancer (like 3 to 4 days a week dancing) so I'm looking for something fast and light for dance photos. Running a parallel system gets expensive. I do like the µ4/3rds and borrow one when I'm on vacation.
the µ4/3rds have much worse low light performance than my D810 and it does not have the same kind of shallow DOF as my 105mm f/1.4
DSC_1719.jpg
ok while I did not take the shot, I do have the copyright as it was my camera (*LOL*) and it is me dancing.
a 35mm f/1.4 will give me a wider shot, more DOF.

I guess the real question is: will I miss the 50mm f/1.4 if I ditch it for the 35mm f/1.4?

Ok that explains a lot!

Yes the m4/3 systems can't match the low light performance of your D810, but you can't carry the D810 around in your pocket! :allteeth:

Those type of dance shots are really neat when taken with a wide angle lens so I can see why you want a 35mm (maybe wider?).

Will you miss the 50mm? Maybe, but you could always take a couple steps closer to your subject or crop when using the 35mm. In my experience, it's better to shoot a little wide and crop later. If you shoot too tight, there is nothing you can do about it in post.

If the 50 is too wide and too narrow at the same time, sounds like a zoom is in your future. And then maybe a move to Argentina.

I do have a 24-70 f/2.8

So why would you need a 35mm?

Sorry if I missed it, are you on a crop body? If you are, maybe you should look at a 17-50mm type of zoom?

Because the 24-70 is bloody heavy and only 2.8
Why would I put that on a crop body?
I'm musing between the sigma art and Nikon 35mm f/1.4
Also pondering the 35mm 1.8 FX
This!

Ok that explains a lot!

Yes the m4/3 systems can't match the low light performance of your D810, but you can't carry the D810 around in your pocket! :allteeth:

Those type of dance shots are really neat when taken with a wide angle lens so I can see why you want a 35mm (maybe wider?).

Will you miss the 50mm? Maybe, but you could always take a couple steps closer to your subject or crop when using the 35mm. In my experience, it's better to shoot a little wide and crop later. If you shoot too tight, there is nothing you can do about it in post.

When I was in London 2 years ago, I brought my D810 only for the first day. After that it was just a Lumix GM1 with the kit 12-32.
Did I miss having the better camera? I wouldn't have seen so many things if I was weighed down so much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back