35mm Vs. 85mm

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm torn between two choices for a next lens. I want something super fast for indoor event photography.

The

Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.4G AF-S FX SWM Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

and the

Amazon.com: Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR: Electronics

Equip:

D700
17-35, 24-70, 70-200 f2.8s. I do have a nifty 50 too ;)

Purpose, indoors (chapels, churches, banquet rooms, etc) when flash isn't permitted or not feasible.

I feel I'd get more use (portraits) with the 85 but it might be a little too long for indoor use. Want to hear from you that use one or the other or both for similar purposes. Gracias!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Two different lenses with two different purposes. Apples and orangatans. There is no comparison, only what your intent is.

I use my 85 and 35 both for indoor portraits, but they each take very different portraits!

You have both of these focal lengths covered already, so set one of your zooms to 35 and walk around for a day to get a feel, and then do the same with 85.

One thing worth noting is that for low light, you can technically get away with a slower shutter speed on the 35, so it is slightly better in low light, despite them both being 1.4.

So you think the 35mm then? :lmao:

Seriously though, if you were shooting a birthday indoors with dim lighting...?

Edit:I type too slow... good point about shorter focal length/slower handheld ss.

If you're having this much trouble deciding then you clearly need both! :lol:

For real though, spend a day or 2 just shooting at 35 and 85, it'll be much easier to make up your mind.

I like the 35 if I'm actually at conversation distance, and interacting with whoever I'm shooting. The 85 is more of an across the room lens...

I have the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm f/1.8. Both work splendidly on the D700. I have also tested the 85mm f/1.4 G & D mount lenses with the D700. The G does have some advantages, but I'm not certain that the price point difference is well founded.

It is all about what lens you want mounted the MOST at an event/wedding with 2 camera bodies. With 2 camera bodies you usually want one short one long. If I had 35, 24-70, and 17-35, I will never use the 24-70 at these events (thats why I sold it). I will stick with 35mm because being able to go bigger than 2.8 is a big plus. At weddings when everyone started dancing, you will find that 35mm is not wide enough. Since you have 17-35, that is what I will use. Same goes with the long lens. I probably will never get rid the 70-200. But I must say if I had the fast 85 mm, I probably wont use the 70-200 as much if I can get pretty close to the subject at the ceremony. I think both 35 and 85 are necessary, but I personally would get the 35 first because you will use it more than the 85. When you do portraits, the 70-200 is awesome, but it is just ridiculously big. GL! It is always a tough choice!

IMO, 85mm is the one. And rather than 35mm, i would go to 24mm instead...

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Yeah.. 24 is money too. I can totally shoot a whole wedding with only 24 and 85.

I'll go another route and say save up a bit and grab a 200mm f2.

U r crazy Jake. 200 will not be used at weddings.

I just got the 85mm 1.4 af-d about 3 weeks ago. I only did 1 shoot with it but i LOVE that lens. the image quality is just unreal + the bokeh is awesome.

it all comes down what your going to do with it, indoor, get the 24 as some people said. the 85 will be a bit long.

If it's event photography, either the 24 or 35mm. I shot a wedding Saturday and the only two lenses I used were the 24 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.4, and they turned out awesome.

If you're the type who likes to get in on the action, 24mm. If you want something for context, but don't want the wide look, 35mm. Otherwise use a 50 or 85mm.

The 24G is razor sharp in the center wide open
The 35G is OK at f/1.4, but not stellar in sharpness until f/2. Bokeh is tremendous at 1.4 though, really smooth.
the 50G is OK at f/1.4, not super till f/2.
the 85G is pretty good at f/1.4, but looks it's best at about f/2 as well in terms of sharpness/bokeh ratios.

Last edited:
I love love love the 85. Shot a whole concert series with that lens that I borrowed from school one time and it was low light, no flash allowed, and they still turned out wonderfully! I actually bought the 35/1.8 however, and that is a great lens, but I think I would have been a tad happier with the 85. Who am I kidding, a "tad"? I would be way happier with the 85. I just made myself sad...

Just a note, I'm talking about two lenses that are different f-stops from the ones you mentioned, both at 1.8, but the lengths are the meat of this post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back