360deg photo of Times square - New Year's celebrations

Darfion said:

I seen an episode of Beyond 2000 back like 5 or so years ago and in the this one they had some device, that captured a picture, I think it was used for those city elevation/geographic studies. It was like half a spear, the top, and the resulting picture was a circular picture that showed everything from the level horizon to the sky. Then with pc software, it turned that picture into a 360 degree interactive video/picture thing.

an easier way is to take pictures all around you and stitch them together, but it doesnt capture the same second in all the pictures, and things coudl be different like lighting and focus. :0).

the Times Square VR looks like it's taken with a special panoramic camera.

But you can achieve results easily by yourself. Put your cam on a tripod, level it straight and take several overlapping images with the same exposure (take a few meter readings first and average). The wider the lense, the more interesting the results. With a 28 mm you'll need approx. 8-10 images for a 360° view.

Then you put the single images together with a stitching software - basically it looks for similar areas from shot to shot and merges the images into one. Export to Quicktime VR and that's it..

something I did a few years back http://doxxdesign.com/presentation/05_dfa.html

http://doxxdesign.com/presentation/06_dfa2.html

doxx, i really like your version! your reflection in the mirror is neat.

md

check your pm's brother.

Assuming it was done with one camera and sufficient shots for a 360 I would think that there would be a horrible mismatch between the first and last shots because of all the movement.
My guess is a bunch of cameras set together and looking out all firing simultaneously and followed by a serious dose of Photostitch or similar.

I got this in my email today :roll:

Hi Markus

Please Markus can you tell the people at the Photo Forum that they only need
to scroll down ( or click on the
Read more link) to see how it is done.

I can not understand why people never read pages.
I see this again and again in Forums.

And why not visit the frontpage and the Technical Resources page to find
information.

Regards
Hans
panoramas.dk

nice work doxx.

i recently tried my luck at a 5 picture panorama. my brother and i hiked up a local mountain and there was one spot that you could see about 300 degrees of this amazing sunset. you could see the differentiation between night and day because way on the left it was dark and way on the right it was still daytime !! very cool. it turned out pretty good, but maybe only because i bracketed each picture to 3 different f stops.

Most reactions

Back