365 Project? No way. But...

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some creative motivation for 2018. As I was looking back at my files recently, I had big gaps of time where I spent much more time talking about photography than actually going out and using my camera to be creative.

I've attempted a 365 project in the past..I made it 40 something days before I decided that it was just giving me anxiety and not really helping fulfill any creative void. But...some of my favorite pictures of 2016 (I think) came from that project because it forced me to use my camera in ways I wouldn't ordinarily.

So I'm thinking that a 52 week project is more realistic -- enough pressure to force me to use my camera in a more meaningful way, but maybe not the anxiety-inducing pressure that occurred with trying to do a 365 project.

@SquarePeg has been posting some great prompts, but I also kind of like the way these ones were set up:

https://petapixel.com/2016/12/28/shoot-52-week-photo-challenge-2017-improve-skills/

I'm also thinking that I should force myself to shoot a roll of film each month, too.

Anyone interested in joining me? No matter what, I'll share my work here, but I'd love to have the support of others on a similar mission. I'm not sure what the best way to share the photos here if there are a group of us, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Personally I would get off the taking pictures mentality. Instead I would work on the creative aspect.
Maybe get up early and go out before sunrise and watch the lighting change in your neighborhood as the sun rises. Then do the same at sundown. Maybe even leave the camera home for this.
Then go out at the same times and see if you can find worthy subjects to shoot under the changing light. Take some photo's of each subject at different times of day and compare the lighting.
This approach will get you a lot further than forcing yourself to take photo's. A picture a day makes me want to sell the camera.
Just my opinion.

365 is too ambitious for me and too much pressure, especially in winter! Since I've used the petapixel site to look for ideas/inspiration, you may see some repetition between that and the weekly challenges here but - I've been trying to stay away from pure subject themes (like a color or an emotion) and focus more on technical and compositional challenges.

I’d do a 52 week challenge with you. Can’t guarantee I’ll make it all the way through or that the photos will be anything special.. but I’ll give it a go!

Just a suggestion - You could start a thread for this in one of the Gallery forums. Put the link to the petapixel site in the lead post and have everyone post their challenge photos in it. Each week you could update the title of the thread to state the week # of the challenge and/or the theme. That may be easier than a new thread every week which I have to say is a bit of a pita. I'll probably be in as much as I can. New Year's resolution - get out of my comfort zone and post more photos for critique.

Reading this reminds me of the movie "Smoke" from 1995. Harvey Keitel's character owns a smoke shop and everyday he takes a photo of the intersection where his shop is located in the same spot and has albums with those photos dating back 20 years when he first opened the store. I thought that was the coolest thing.

I think I've been a photographer waaay too long! lol I started looking at that list, and I've done it, or already do it... Last shot on a roll of film? don't know how many times I've done that. SOOC? I'll give ya a Polaroid! lol Orange, yep, the 'orange crush' house in a local college town.

Anyway I think weekly sounds more workable than a 365, those just seem too forced and impractical.

I'm looking for some creative motivation for 2018. As I was looking back at my files recently, I had big gaps of time where I spent much more time talking about photography than actually going out and using my camera to be creative.

I've attempted a 365 project in the past..I made it 40 something days before I decided that it was just giving me anxiety and not really helping fulfill any creative void. But...some of my favorite pictures of 2016 (I think) came from that project because it forced me to use my camera in ways I wouldn't ordinarily.

So I'm thinking that a 52 week project is more realistic -- enough pressure to force me to use my camera in a more meaningful way, but maybe not the anxiety-inducing pressure that occurred with trying to do a 365 project.

@SquarePeg has been posting some great prompts, but I also kind of like the way these ones were set up:

https://petapixel.com/2016/12/28/shoot-52-week-photo-challenge-2017-improve-skills/

I'm also thinking that I should force myself to shoot a roll of film each month, too.

Anyone interested in joining me? No matter what, I'll share my work here, but I'd love to have the support of others on a similar mission. I'm not sure what the best way to share the photos here if there are a group of us, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Shoot the alphabet - more thought goes into it.

The 365 is a lot of pressure, the 52 week is easier but there are weeks (months) it's hard to pick up a camera with life commitments.

I dunno. A 24 challenge sounds ok as well. 2 photos a month

I’m definitely interested. I had every intention of doing a 52 week project last year, but the one that the photo blogs were talking about last year had too many oddball themes and I lost momentum. I like the idea of the alphabet...

I’m going to shoot the alphabet in 2018. I’ll put up a thread next week, and anyone else who is interested, please join in.

Subjects can be something that starts with the letter (A is for Aperture) or something that looks like the letter.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I'm in @JonA_CT. I did one this year and it was easy. I didn't feel any pressure but had some health challenges so I wasn't spot on. People with kids, all bets are off as they come first. I remember having to juggle my art, work, and family, very difficult to make everyone happy.

I think for a lot of people on here have been shooting a long time as opposed to me, so feeling the desire may have less an impact. I am trying to catch up or expedite the learning curve was my reasoning.

Winter poses challenges but if you think about it, there are ways around that. I made my 2016 resolution to shoot more film to enable me to get better at in camera images, that require minimal or no post work. I feel that I accomplished my goal.

My 2017 goal is once again a dual purpose goal. Darkroom studies. I will expand my knowledge on developing film in order to properly visualize how I look at light prior to pressing the shutter. I will obtain an enlarger that will make 135, and 120 so I can make my own prints to build a physical portfolio that enables better skill evaluation. The other goal is to execute more natural light portraits and to incorporate more people in my street shooting.

Whew, just reading JC's post wore me out! There could be a Gary challenge - take a picture once in awhile, whenever you feel like it, or don't bother to get up out of your lazy chair... unless it's to toss another tri tip on the grill!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back