I recently ordered from CanvasLuv.com and have ordered from a few others. Definitely rate this one the highest quality and great price. I haven't ordered form Black River, but will check them out.

For the purpose of full disclosure, what's your relationship with this company?

I'm a writer. The only relationship I have currently is buying theirs and a series of others for the purpose of writing an article on the best canvas print companies, websites, and process. I"m currently doing a full review of theirs and others including reading sites that have used companies so I can get their opinions as well. Based on this forum I've added Black River to the mix. Let me know if there are others to research.

What other companies have you purchased from and compare to come to the conclusion that this company has the highest quality and great price? Also, please define the criteria(s) of quality and what make those criteria(s) better than other companies.

Best of luck with the reviews. I went through Canvasluv.com site and here are my thoughts.

1. The site is very new and lacking a lot of information. It's catered to end consumers, not professionals.
2. Based on the information the site, there is nothing special about the prints, ink, frame, etc. compare to other typical canvas printing sites.
3. The pricing is 2.8x more pricier than well known professional print labs. Still about 15% more expensive even with 60% off.
4. The business address is a UPS store.
5. The business is relatively new based on various information.

Last edited:
My brother is getting married in a couple months. Photography is one of those places they felt was an acceptable place to cut the cost and have asked a friend to do it. I was going to volunteer to bring my camera and get some candid shots if they want. If not, no hard feelings.

Frankly I think a lot of people are more interested in documenting the moment (think social media) than having artwork to hang in their home. Maybe people will regret this down the road, maybe not. Half or more of them won't stay married anyway....

Back about 17 years ago I met a guy who got out as a professional film wedding photographer and went to work under the superintendent of public schools as his right hand man,far less stress and no competition with wannabes. The superintendent annual salary was $226,921.5th highest paid super and 15th highest paid In state.Looking at the way things are now with Economy and wannabes around every corner its got to be tuff to make any kinda of living from it.

Last edited:
It's no longer about the quality of the camera that shoots the photos--it's about the quality of the moments captured. A one- or two-person professional photography team will miss 95% of the actual moments, the exchanges of genuine emotion, compared to a 10- to 150-person team with their smartphones. Again, it's no longer the 30 x 40 inch canvas that is the hook, the closer, the big sell. Photos are not the same thing they used to be even 10 years ago. Is wedding photography dying? No. But it is changing, and it has changed from what it was in 1910, and 1950, and 1980, and in the year 2000. The last time somebody asked me if she could show me some wedding photos, she pulled out an iPhone 6s.

In multiple ways, an iPhone or an Android phone is a much,much,much better wedding memory-grabber than a Hasselblad 500 C/M and a 50/80/150 lens trio ever was. The smartphone shoots video, has no 12-frame limit, has hyperfocal DOF, is silent, not loud, and is very high-capacity, and can shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot. Having 10 to 40 of those things at a wedding means that thousands of stills are available to the B&G.

There is a ton of truth to this. Against my better judgement my wife opted to have a friend shoot our wedding since we were trying adhere to a strict budget. We had a book made of our wedding pictures and exactly NONE of the photogs pictures made it into that book. We used pics from P&S and cellphones instead. Many of them were fantastic.

Not to say that a true pro photogs pics wouldn't have been much more technically superior, it's to say if it wasn't for P&S and cell phones we wouldn't have had nearly the bank to choose from.

Not to say that a true pro photogs pics wouldn't have been much more technically superior, it's to say if it wasn't for P&S and cell phones we wouldn't have had nearly the bank to choose from.

IMHO, photos from experienced professionals should be both technically and emotionally superior. :) This is why it doesn't bother me when people bring their DSLR's to weddings as long as it doesn't interfere with my doing my job, and that they don't mis-represent themselves after the wedding.

It's no longer about the quality of the camera that shoots the photos--it's about the quality of the moments captured. A one- or two-person professional photography team will miss 95% of the actual moments, the exchanges of genuine emotion, compared to a 10- to 150-person team with their smartphones. Again, it's no longer the 30 x 40 inch canvas that is the hook, the closer, the big sell. Photos are not the same thing they used to be even 10 years ago. Is wedding photography dying? No. But it is changing, and it has changed from what it was in 1910, and 1950, and 1980, and in the year 2000. The last time somebody asked me if she could show me some wedding photos, she pulled out an iPhone 6s.

In multiple ways, an iPhone or an Android phone is a much,much,much better wedding memory-grabber than a Hasselblad 500 C/M and a 50/80/150 lens trio ever was. The smartphone shoots video, has no 12-frame limit, has hyperfocal DOF, is silent, not loud, and is very high-capacity, and can shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot. Having 10 to 40 of those things at a wedding means that thousands of stills are available to the B&G.

There is a ton of truth to this. Against my better judgement my wife opted to have a friend shoot our wedding since we were trying adhere to a strict budget. We had a book made of our wedding pictures and exactly NONE of the photogs pictures made it into that book. We used pics from P&S and cellphones instead. Many of them were fantastic.

I can't figure out if the point you're trying to make is that you didn't like the photog's pics because they were shot by a friend and not a pro or are you saying that the p&s and cell phone pics were so good that you feel like you didn't need any photog to begin with? Or both?

I can't figure out if the point you're trying to make is that you didn't like the photog's pics because they were shot by a friend and not a pro or are you saying that the p&s and cell phone pics were so good that you feel like you didn't need any photog to begin with? Or both?

My expectations from a pro would be FAR higher than from the "friend", but we didn't hire a pro and got what we paid for.

The friend's pictures were largely VERY overexposed, and about 1 in 10 were salvageable. I attribute it to lack of experience and nerves. The cell phone and P&S pics were more or less well exposed and very nice.

Knowing what I know now, if we had the budget I would still hire a PRO photog, and let the friend sit back and enjoy the party... and would probably be equally grateful for having the cell phones and P&S there. In my mind, there are some shots where the knowledge and experience of a pro are absolutely paramount. There are also a million shots that will only be captured by folks with their cellphones.

Why not have them all?

Keep calm and keep on shooting.:1251: The only thing that has changed is that now you need to be a pro not just in shooting, you need also to be a pro in post production.

I actually think we are in the photography age right now and in some ways it is great. My mother talking about her early childhood most people couldnt afford a photographer then it wasnt very popular and the few photographers around most could not afford. As she became a teen in the 50's it became more popular and started becoming a little more common but i expect the prices had dropped and cameras became more available. The fact we can take so many photos now is truly amazing we are in some ways extremely lucky and the cameras are relatively cheap in comparison i would suspect. The large market in pro photography wasnt very common to start with so if it did diminish it might just be its time has become less necessary. Pro photography took off mostly in the late eighties mostly nineties didn't it? Then took another big growth with digital becoming the norm? I dont think it has always been this common to start with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back